Re: [webalizer] Re: invalid keyword error in webalizer

  • simon benedict
    Message 1 of 10 , May 7, 2004
      thnks a lot once again
      it was silly of me not to run the executable as .webalizer as i did run only weblizer

      hence it was excuting the original webalizer n not the patched one
      thnks

      regards

      simon

      enventa2000 <enventa2000@...> wrote:
      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, simon benedict <sbdcunha@y...>
      wrote:
      > thnaks a lot for the quick reply

      > btw I was executing the the right binary .  i was running geolizer
      binary cause i was moving to /usr/src/geolizer_2.
      01-10-static-linux/webalizer with cd command and then running
      webalizer
      > and also I had the sample.conf in the same directory

      > but as per u when I started to run the below command from the root

      > /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer -c
      /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/sample.conf

      > it worked perfect.. suprising

      :) The joys of understanding what the PATH variable does....

      execute this your command line:

      echo $PATH

      You will see the list of directories where linux (or unix) searches
      for executable. It was finding the webalizer executable in one of
      those directories. To execute files outside of that list of
      directories you need to specify the whole path to the executable:

      Specify the whole route:
      /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer

      Move to the directory, and execute:
      cd /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer
      ./webalizer

      Move to a directory, and specify a relative route:
      cd /usr/src
      ./geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer

      This can be written also like this:

      cd /usr/src
      geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer

      Another relative route:
      cd usr/src/apache
      ../geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer

      The "./" part means that the route to the file is the actual
      directory. "../" is to move one directory up.

      If you had not had webalizer installed, then linux would have
      complained that it couldn't find the file, even if the file was in
      your current directory. Linux (and unix) will never look at the
      current directory to find an executable unless you tell them do so.
      You could of course add "./" to PATH, but it is dangerous, because you
      could be in the wrong directory, and run a different script than you
      intended and break something.

      ttp://www.webalizer.org

      Do you Yahoo!?