Re: [webalizer] Re: invalid keyword error in webalizer

  • simon benedict
    Message 1 of 10 , May 6, 2004
      thnaks a lot for the quick reply

      btw I was executing the the right binary .  i was running geolizer binary cause i was moving to /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer with cd command and then running webalizer
      and also I had the sample.conf in the same directory

      but as per u when I started to run the below command from the root

      /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer -c /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/sample.conf

      it worked perfect.. suprising

      u can have a look now

      thanks a lot

      regards
       simon

      enventa2000 <enventa2000@...> wrote:
      You are still executing the webalizer binary file. You need to execute
      the geolizer binary file instead.

      You need to execute the "webalizer" binary file inside the geolizer
      directory (I assume you unpacked the files in this directory):

      /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer

      instead of simply executing:

      webalizer

      The "Invalid Keyword" is because webalizer does not understand that
      keyword. Geolizer would never give that error message, because those
      keywords are completely valid for him.

      Also, use the "-c" switch to tell geolizer where your webalizer.conf
      file is (perhaps it is called "sample.conf"). For example:

      /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer -c /etc/webalizer.
      conf

      You will notice that geolizer will complain that DNSCache and
      DNSChildren are invalid keywords. Comment them if you wish. Remember
      that if you drop geolizer and return to use webalizer again then you
      will need to uncomment those keywords again, or webalizer will not do
      DNS resolving.

      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, simon benedict <sbdcunha@y...>
      wrote:

      > hi
      >
      > I have download unzipped the  geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux
      >
      > i have made the required change for the Logfile and the outdir
      directive respectively and also the  directives

      > TopCountries    300
      > GeoIP           yes
      > GeoIPDatabase   /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/GeoIP.dat
      >
      > now when i run webalizer it gives me the output as below
      >
      > Warning: Invalid keyword 'GeoIP' (webalizer.conf)
      > Warning: Invalid keyword 'GeoIPDatabase' (webalizer.conf)
      > Webalizer V2.01-10 (Linux 2.4.18-14) English
      > Using logfile /home/webuser/logs/ncsa1.log (clf)
      > DNS Lookup (20): 29 addresses in 0.35 seconds
      > Using DNS cache file dns_cache.db
      > Creating output in /var/www/html/weblog
      > Hostname for reports is 'kmdns'
      > Reading history file... webalizer.hist
      > Skipping bad record (648)
      > Generating report for April 2004
      > Generating summary report
      > Saving history information...
      > 648 records (1 bad) in 0.06 seconds
      >
      > its says GeoIP is invalid keyword
      >

      > and the output is http://weblog.baladia.gov.kw/usage_200404.html
      >
      > shows me 74 % unresolved/unknown
      >
      > since I have download the static version of Geolizer i just need the
      Geo keywords specifiying the path to the GeoIP.dat file if I am right
      and which I have done

      > Appreciate if you can let me know
      >

      > thanks and Regards
      >

      > simon

      ttp://www.webalizer.org

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • enventa2000
      Message 2 of 10 , May 7, 2004
        wrote:
        > thnaks a lot for the quick reply
        >
        > btw I was executing the the right binary . i was running geolizer
        binary cause i was moving to /usr/src/geolizer_2.
        01-10-static-linux/webalizer with cd command and then running
        webalizer
        > and also I had the sample.conf in the same directory

        > but as per u when I started to run the below command from the root
        >
        > /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer -c
        /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/sample.conf

        > it worked perfect.. suprising

        :) The joys of understanding what the PATH variable does....

        execute this your command line:

        echo $PATH

        You will see the list of directories where linux (or unix) searches
        for executable. It was finding the webalizer executable in one of
        those directories. To execute files outside of that list of
        directories you need to specify the whole path to the executable:

        Specify the whole route:
        /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer

        Move to the directory, and execute:
        cd /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer
        ./webalizer

        Move to a directory, and specify a relative route:
        cd /usr/src
        ./geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer

        This can be written also like this:

        cd /usr/src
        geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer

        Another relative route:
        cd usr/src/apache
        ../geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux/webalizer

        The "./" part means that the route to the file is the actual
        directory. "../" is to move one directory up.

        If you had not had webalizer installed, then linux would have
        complained that it couldn't find the file, even if the file was in
        your current directory. Linux (and unix) will never look at the
        current directory to find an executable unless you tell them do so.
        You could of course add "./" to PATH, but it is dangerous, because you
        could be in the wrong directory, and run a different script than you
        intended and break something.
      • simon benedict
        Message 3 of 10 , May 7, 2004
          thnks a lot once again
          it was silly of me not to run the executable as .webalizer as i did run only weblizer

          hence it was excuting the original webalizer n not the patched one
          thnks