Re: resolving all IPs in logfiles, instead of resolving in webalizer

  • enventa2000
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2004
      > > If you Apache, you'll surely have an utility called "logresolve".
      [snip]
      > we need to be careful with statements like this... some of these
      utils are not available on other operating systems that apache runs
      > on... in my case, IBM's OS/2 Warp 3 ;)

      ops, you are right, I use RedHat 9.0, which is filled (or bloated)
      with lot of utilities that I will never use.

      Anyways, it is very useful when you have not resolved logfiles. I'm
      sure there are similar utilities and even scripts, but I don't konw
      them.

      [snip]

      > even better would be to let apache resolve the addresses, wouldn't
      it? if apache can't resolve the address, no other tool will be
      > able to resolve them either... in many cases, anyway...

      Since logresolve is provided with Apache, they will both have the same
      abilities.

      > > You can desactive the HostnameLookup feature in Apache so it runs
      > > faster, and then run logresolve on the rotated logs, so you have
      the
      > > best of both worlds.
      >
      > but your system still spends the same time (or longer) when you
      resolve after the fact, doesn't it?

      Yes, but Apache resolves the addresses while it is at the same time
      atempting to serve the pages. Sites where Apache takes too much time
      to serve the pages may attempt to desactive the feature. If anything
      goes wrong, they can still resolve the non-resolved logs later.
      tel.net