Re: [webalizer] resolving all IPs in logfiles, instead of resolving in webalizer

  • waldo kitty
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2004
      enventa2000 wrote:
      > Hello:
      >
      > If you Apache, you'll surely have an utility called "logresolve". It
      > parses the Apache logfiles and resolves all IPs it encounters there.

      we need to be careful with statements like this... some of these utils are not available on other operating systems that apache runs
      on... in my case, IBM's OS/2 Warp 3 ;)

      [trim]

      > You can convert all logs with only IPs on it to resolved logs, so you
      > can deactive the dns resolving in webalizer so it goes faster. It also
      > understand logs where some IPs have already been resolved and others
      > haven't.

      even better would be to let apache resolve the addresses, wouldn't it? if apache can't resolve the address, no other tool will be
      able to resolve them either... in many cases, anyway...

      > You can desactive the HostnameLookup feature in Apache so it runs
      > faster, and then run logresolve on the rotated logs, so you have the
      > best of both worlds.

      but your system still spends the same time (or longer) when you resolve after the fact, doesn't it?

      --
      _\/
      (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2004
        > > If you Apache, you'll surely have an utility called "logresolve".
        [snip]
        > we need to be careful with statements like this... some of these
        utils are not available on other operating systems that apache runs
        > on... in my case, IBM's OS/2 Warp 3 ;)

        ops, you are right, I use RedHat 9.0, which is filled (or bloated)
        with lot of utilities that I will never use.

        Anyways, it is very useful when you have not resolved logfiles. I'm
        sure there are similar utilities and even scripts, but I don't konw
        them.

        [snip]

        > even better would be to let apache resolve the addresses, wouldn't
        it? if apache can't resolve the address, no other tool will be
        > able to resolve them either... in many cases, anyway...

        Since logresolve is provided with Apache, they will both have the same
        abilities.

        > > You can desactive the HostnameLookup feature in Apache so it runs
        > > faster, and then run logresolve on the rotated logs, so you have
        the
        > > best of both worlds.
        >
        > but your system still spends the same time (or longer) when you
        resolve after the fact, doesn't it?

        Yes, but Apache resolves the addresses while it is at the same time
        atempting to serve the pages. Sites where Apache takes too much time
        to serve the pages may attempt to desactive the feature. If anything
        goes wrong, they can still resolve the non-resolved logs later.
        tel.net