RE: [webalizer] W3C Extended Logs and Local Time

  • Edward Chase
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
      Frank, it sounds like we're attempting to do the same thing here.

      I've been asked for Webalizer to produce referal stats.

      However, if I have IIS start logging W3C, it appears to break webalizer. I
      hadn't even looked at the time stamping, but I don't particularly care about
      that. We rotate logs monthly, so if the entry is in this months log, that's
      enough for us.

      Am I missing something in my conf file to get webalizer to do referal stats
      with the logging abilities of IIS?

    • f_holub
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
        Hi Ed,

        When I look at the contents of the 3 available log file formats I see
        that the only format that records referals is the W3C format.
        Webalizer can't track referals if they're not in the log files to
        start with... I just wish it would convert GMT to Local time. It's
        not a big deal, but I would like to schedule backups and reboots at
        the least busy time and not have to guess at the time.

        Frank

        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Chase" <echase@p...> wrote:
        > Frank, it sounds like we're attempting to do the same thing here.
        >
        > I've been asked for Webalizer to produce referal stats.
        >
        > However, if I have IIS start logging W3C, it appears to break
        webalizer. I
        > hadn't even looked at the time stamping, but I don't particularly
        care about
        > that. We rotate logs monthly, so if the entry is in this months
        log, that's
        > enough for us.
        >
        > Am I missing something in my conf file to get webalizer to do
        referal stats
        > with the logging abilities of IIS?

      • Edward Chase
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
          Frank,

          I'm not sure if I missed something here...

          Are you logging IIS in W3C format AND using Webalizer? If so, are you doing
          referrer stats too?

        • f_holub
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
            I'm tracking where the visitors are coming from (webalizer: "Total
            Referrers") in W3C extended format out of IIS, if that is what you
            mean. The other two formats do not appear to record any kind of
            referrer info at all. The problem is that Webalizer doesn't seem to
            be able to record the time as local in the "Hourly usage" charts.
            Also, hits for the next day start showning up around 8:00PM. I'm in
            the eastern time zone and everything is 4 or 5 hours off due to GMT
            to EDT/EST issues. I just want webalizer to make the conversion to
            local time without my having to screw around with goofy (wrong)
            settings to my servers clock... BTW - webalizer reports when the
            report was generated correctly...

            Frank

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Chase" <echase@p...> wrote:
            > Frank,
            >
            > I'm not sure if I missed something here...
            >
            > Are you logging IIS in W3C format AND using Webalizer? If so, are
            you doing
            > referrer stats too?

          • Edward Chase
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2004
              Hmmm... I've only been able to run Webalizer on NCSA logs, not W3C
              extended...

              Did you have to do anything in your conf file to get Webalizer to use the
              W3C logs?