W3C Extended Logs and Local Time

  • f_holub
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2004
      I guess I have to ask...
      In IISv5 there are three options for log files as far as I can tell.
      IIS, NCSA, and W3C Extended. The only log format that appears to
      track referals is W3C, but W3C records timing in GMT. Is there a
      Webalizer.conf option that will convert the time back to local time
      or any other "trick" I can use short of resetting my servers timezone
      to GMT?

      Thanx,
      Frank
    • Edward Chase
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
        Frank, it sounds like we're attempting to do the same thing here.

        I've been asked for Webalizer to produce referal stats.

        However, if I have IIS start logging W3C, it appears to break webalizer. I
        hadn't even looked at the time stamping, but I don't particularly care about
        that. We rotate logs monthly, so if the entry is in this months log, that's
        enough for us.

        Am I missing something in my conf file to get webalizer to do referal stats
        with the logging abilities of IIS?

      • f_holub
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2004
          Hi Ed,

          When I look at the contents of the 3 available log file formats I see
          that the only format that records referals is the W3C format.
          Webalizer can't track referals if they're not in the log files to
          start with... I just wish it would convert GMT to Local time. It's
          not a big deal, but I would like to schedule backups and reboots at
          the least busy time and not have to guess at the time.

          Frank

          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Chase" <echase@p...> wrote:
          > Frank, it sounds like we're attempting to do the same thing here.
          >
          > I've been asked for Webalizer to produce referal stats.
          >
          > However, if I have IIS start logging W3C, it appears to break
          webalizer. I
          > hadn't even looked at the time stamping, but I don't particularly
          care about
          > that. We rotate logs monthly, so if the entry is in this months
          log, that's
          > enough for us.
          >
          > Am I missing something in my conf file to get webalizer to do
          referal stats
          > with the logging abilities of IIS?

        • Edward Chase
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
            Frank,

            I'm not sure if I missed something here...

            Are you logging IIS in W3C format AND using Webalizer? If so, are you doing
            referrer stats too?

          • f_holub
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 12, 2004
              I'm tracking where the visitors are coming from (webalizer: "Total
              Referrers") in W3C extended format out of IIS, if that is what you
              mean. The other two formats do not appear to record any kind of
              referrer info at all. The problem is that Webalizer doesn't seem to
              be able to record the time as local in the "Hourly usage" charts.
              Also, hits for the next day start showning up around 8:00PM. I'm in
              the eastern time zone and everything is 4 or 5 hours off due to GMT
              to EDT/EST issues. I just want webalizer to make the conversion to
              local time without my having to screw around with goofy (wrong)
              settings to my servers clock... BTW - webalizer reports when the
              report was generated correctly...

              Frank

              --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Chase" <echase@p...> wrote:
              > Frank,
              >
              > I'm not sure if I missed something here...
              >
              > Are you logging IIS in W3C format AND using Webalizer? If so, are
              you doing
              > referrer stats too?

            • Edward Chase
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 13, 2004
                Hmmm... I've only been able to run Webalizer on NCSA logs, not W3C
                extended...

                Did you have to do anything in your conf file to get Webalizer to use the
                W3C logs?