R: [webalizer] Best Rotation scheme?

  • Marco Lanata
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2001
      Jean,

      I know how to set IIS to rotate log daily. What I need is a script to launch
      daily in order to process with Webalizer the correct log automatically. The
      name of the log file is based on the date, so how can I perform this task ?

      Thank you for your help.
      ____________________________
      Marco Lanata
      Virtual srl
      Via Vinelli 34/2
      16043 Chiavari (GE) - ITALY
      Tel +39 0185 368005
      Fax +39 0185 368107
      email : marco@...
      http://www.tigullio.it
      ____________________________

      De : Marco Lanata [mailto:marco@...]
      Envoye : lundi 12 fevrier 2001 11:01
      A : webalizer@yahoogroups.com
      Objet : R: [webalizer] Best Rotation scheme?

      Jean,

      how can I perform daily rotation on a Win2k server ? I use Webalizer 2.01.06
      .

      I thank you in advance.

      Best regards.
      ____________________________
      Marco Lanata
      Virtual srl
      Via Vinelli 34/2
      16043 Chiavari (GE) - ITALY
      Tel +39 0185 368005
      Fax +39 0185 368107
      email : marco@...
      http://www.tigullio.it
      ____________________________

      De : Maarten van der Hoek / W.T. International b.v.
      [mailto:maartenh@...]
      Envoye : lundi 12 fevrier 2001 10:33
      A : 'webalizer@yahoogroups.com'
      Objet : [webalizer] Best Rotation scheme?

      We`ve been running with an old version of webalizer quite some time, however
      this week we`re planning an major update of the web-server. (current logs
      can be deleted!)

      Now I was wondering what kind of logging is best for the latest version?
      W3C?

      And what kind of rotation is advisable ?
      Daily?

      We like to run the program scheduled, shouldn`t be a problem, right?
      Also multiple virtual sites are running...

      Best regards,

      Maarten van der Hoek

    • Jean-Noel HAYART
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2001
        hi

        you haven't do change command for start webalizer : follow my sample :
        - first use daily log
        - use webalizer like :
        - take a folder
        - incremental work
        - rename log after process
        - and you just have to start webalizer (without log filename) each time you
        want to make reports .
        On somes systemes (with very big log) i start wenalizer each 15 minutes ...

        regard's

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 13, 2001
          Jean,

          We tried to follow your sample, however when starting Webalizer the
          log file gets corrupted (last 10 lines) and unusable...
          Also it keeps the same name!
          Looks like it's locked by the NT 4 file system..

          Any Idea's?

          Best Regards,

          Maarten van der Hoek

          --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel HAYART" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
          > hi
          >
          > you haven't do change command for start webalizer : follow my
          sample :
          > - first use daily log
          > - use webalizer like :
          > - take a folder
          > - incremental work
          > - rename log after process
          > - and you just have to start webalizer (without log filename) each
          time you
          > want to make reports .
          > On somes systemes (with very big log) i start wenalizer each 15
          minutes ...

          > regard's
          >

          > -----Message d'ori
        • Jean-Noel HAYART
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13, 2001
            hi*

            sorry it's perhaps cause your log is strange to my code ...

            can you send me a sample of log file ???

            regards

            We tried to follow your sample, however when starting Webalizer the
            log file gets corrupted (last 10 lines) and unusable...
            Also it keeps the same name!
            Looks like it's locked by the NT 4 file system..

            Any Idea's?

            Best Regards,

            Maarten van der Hoek

            --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel HAYART" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
            > hi
            >
            > you haven't do change command for start webalizer : follow my
            sample :
            > - first use daily log
            > - use webalizer like :
            > - take a folder
            > - incremental work
            > - rename log after process
            > - and you just have to start webalizer (without log filename) each
            time you
            > want to make reports .
            > On somes systemes (with very big log) i start wenalizer each 15
            minutes ...

            > regard's
            >

            > -----Message d'ori

          • Marco Lanata
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2001
              Jean,

              thank you for your suggestion - everything seems to work correctly.

              Best regards.
              Marco Lanata
              Virtual srl
              Via Vinelli 34/2