Re: [webalizer] Mirrored domain names

  • Terry Lund
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004
      At 06:58 PM 3/1/2004, jlyandco
      wrote:
      Can webalizer tell me which domain name is used to access a mirrored
      site? If so, how can I get these details?

      (E.G., "widgets.com" and "widgets.net" both point to single set of
      files within directory "htdocs/widgets"... telling me how many people
      access these files using "widgets.com" and "widgets.net")

      It isn't exactly a Webalizer question.  It depends on how your hosting company configured the names widgets.com and widgets.net.  If they are set up as virtual servers, then there should be separate log files generated for each domain name, and if that's the case, then Webalizer can be used to give you relative traffic stats.  Another alternative is that your hosting company has set up an alias in DNS to resolve the two names to the same IP address, and in this case, Webalizer can't help, because by the time the requests get to the web server, they are all logged into the same log file.  Ask your hosting company if they can help you, either with data from their DNS logs (for the second case) or by configuring the server logs for the virtual servers (in the first case).  I am sure there are other ways of doing this, I've just described two that I know about.

      Also, using the term "mirror site" for this configuration is not quite the right term (at least as I understand the use of that term.  Normally a "mirror site" is a duplicate, another copy of all the files, on another machine, to provide high availability or better redundancy in case of a failure at one "site", or for higher capacity as with file downloads delivered from mirror sites to handle more traffic.

                                                   -Terry

      Terry Lund Consulting      http://www.terrylund.com
                                           Phone +1 585-624-8073
      Improving business results using Internet technology.
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      Check out the Emetrics Summit       May 24 - 26 in London
      http://www.emetrics.org                   June 2 - 4 in Santa Barbara

    • Ali DAN-BOUZOUA
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2004

        I migrate to linux redhat 9. But I am having problem with the Webalizer. It is not compatible …

        Is there another compatible version, or do I have to compile the source.

        libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.2 libpng warning: Application  is  running with png.c from libpng-1.0.13

        gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and library

        webalizer-2.01_10-11.i386.rpm

      • Stanislaw Pusep
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 3, 2004
          > I migrate to linux redhat 9. But I am having problem with the Webalizer. It is not compatible …
          > Is there another compatible version, or do I have to compile the source.

          You can use static binary I provide: http://sysd.org/proj/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux.20040216.tar.gz
          That's not *exactly* an original Webalizer; and not *exactly* an RPM package, but it works everywhere :)
          Check out: http://sysd.org/proj/log.php#glzr
          I can provide RPM package if there is any interest in my patch.

          Powered by Outblaze
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 3, 2004
            > > I migrate to linux redhat 9. But I am having problem with the Webalizer. It is not compatible …
            > > Is there another compatible version, or do I have to compile the source.
            >
            > You can use static binary I provide: http://sysd.org/proj/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux.20040216.tar.gz
            > That's not *exactly* an original Webalizer; and not *exactly* an RPM package, but it works everywhere :)

            I'm not sure why the standard static binary on the ftp site would not
            work either.. or even the plain vanilia Linux binary. What libraries
            is it saying that it can't find.

          • waldo kitty
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 3, 2004
              Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
              >>>I migrate to linux redhat 9. But I am having problem with the Webalizer. It is not compatible …
              >>>Is there another compatible version, or do I have to compile the source.
              >>
              >>You can use static binary I provide: http://sysd.org/proj/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux.20040216.tar.gz
              >>That's not *exactly* an original Webalizer; and not *exactly* an RPM package, but it works everywhere :)
              >

              > I'm not sure why the standard static binary on the ftp site would not
              > work either.. or even the plain vanilia Linux binary. What libraries
              > is it saying that it can't find.

              the wrong version of the png library... if i read the original message right, it says that the RH9 system has v1.0.3 or png (or at
              least a 1.0.* version) and that webalizer is looking for 1.2.2 or somesuch...

              --
              _\/
              (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 3, 2004
                I am using

                webalizer-2.01_10-11.i386.rpm

                Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)...

                The message when I run Webalizer

                Saving current run data... [03/02/2004 23:49:52] Generating report for March
                2004 libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.2
                libpng warning: Application is running with png.c from libpng-1.0.13
                gd-png: fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and
                library
                /testrus: line 7: 7657 Segmentation fault
                /usr/local/bin/webalizer -c /etc/russian2.conf

                Can I :

                1. Remove the Webalizer RPM

                2. Take the geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux.20040216.tar.gz or the original
                webalizer-2.01-10-src.tgz compile it by following the instruction.

                I lost two week stats, but I archived the logs can I then rerun Webalizer to
                process those logs ..

                Thanks all

                > > I migrate to linux redhat 9. But I am having problem with the Webalizer.
                It is not compatible .
                > > Is there another compatible version, or do I have to compile the source.
                >
                > You can use static binary I provide:
                http://sysd.org/proj/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux.20040216.tar.gz
                > That's not *exactly* an original Webalizer; and not *exactly* an RPM
                package, but it works everywhere :)

                I'm not sure why the standard static binary on the ftp site would not
                work either.. or even the plain vanilia Linux binary. What libraries
                is it saying that it can't find.

                ttp://www.webalizer.org

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 3, 2004
                  > I am using
                  >
                  > webalizer-2.01_10-11.i386.rpm
                  >
                  > Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)...

                  Ok, from what it looks like, that is the RedHat supplied rpm that is
                  shipped with RedHat 9, or at least that is what it looks like based
                  on a quick check of their ftp site.. right?

                  > The message when I run Webalizer

                  > Saving current run data... [03/02/2004 23:49:52] Generating report for March
                  > 2004 libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.2
                  > libpng warning: Application is running with png.c from libpng-1.0.13
                  > gd-png: fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and
                  > library
                  > /testrus: line 7: 7657 Segmentation fault
                  > /usr/local/bin/webalizer -c /etc/russian2.conf

                  Ok, this looks like it's a GD Graphics library problem, not a webalizer
                  one (although the webalizer uses GD for it's graphic output).. It looks
                  like the distro ships with TWO versions of PNG, which seems kind of weird.
                  There is a libpng10-1.0.13-8.i386.rpm (along with the -devel one), and
                  there is a libpng-1.2.2-16.i386.rpm (along with the -devel one) shipped
                  on the ISO. Do you have both installed? Could be that you just need to
                  install the 1.2.2 packages.

                  > Can I :
                  >
                  > 1. Remove the Webalizer RPM

                  Sure..

                  > 2. Take the geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux.20040216.tar.gz or the original
                  > webalizer-2.01-10-src.tgz compile it by following the instruction.

                  Any version you compile on the target machine should work just fine, as
                  should any x86 static linux binary, since those don't require any library
                  dependencies.

                • Stanislaw Pusep
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
                    Oops, sorry, I forgot there IS static official Webalizer ;)
                    My compulsoty promoting instinct speaked louder, LOL...
                    BTW, take a look: http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=webalizer
                    There are several "RedHat 9" packages there and source packages too.

                    > Ok, from what it looks like, that is the RedHat supplied rpm that is
                    > shipped with RedHat 9, or at least that is what it looks like based
                    > on a quick check of their ftp site.. right?
                    >
                    > > The message when I run Webalizer

                    > > Saving current run data... [03/02/2004 23:49:52] Generating report for March
                    > > 2004 libpng warning: Application was compiled with png.h from libpng-1.2.2
                    > > libpng warning: Application is running with png.c from libpng-1.0.13
                    > > gd-png: fatal libpng error: Incompatible libpng version in application and
                    > > library
                    > > /testrus: line 7: 7657 Segmentation fault
                    > > /usr/local/bin/webalizer -c /etc/russian2.conf
                    >
                    > Ok, this looks like it's a GD Graphics library problem, not a webalizer
                    > one (although the webalizer uses GD for it's graphic output).. It looks
                    > like the distro ships with TWO versions of PNG, which seems kind of weird.
                    > There is a libpng10-1.0.13-8.i386.rpm (along with the -devel one), and
                    > there is a libpng-1.2.2-16.i386.rpm (along with the -devel one) shipped
                    > on the ISO. Do you have both installed? Could be that you just need to
                    > install the 1.2.2 packages.
                    >
                    > > Can I :
                    > >
                    > > 1. Remove the Webalizer RPM
                    >
                    > Sure..
                    >
                    > > 2. Take the geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux.20040216.tar.gz or the original
                    > > webalizer-2.01-10-src.tgz compile it by following the instruction.
                    >
                    > Any version you compile on the target machine should work just fine, as
                    > should any x86 static linux binary, since those don't require any library
                    > dependencies.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Bradford L. Barrett brad@...

                    > ttp://www.webalizer.org
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Powered by Outblaze
                  • Ashwin Kutty
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 4, 2004
                      I have a lot of Virtual Host's logging to the same combined log files. Is
                      there anyway for webalizer to read those logs (apache - combined logs) and
                      at the very least give the stats on the directory it is being read from
                      even if not seperately from the different domains? I know for multiple
                      virtual hosts it is recommended to have seperate logs and seperate confs
                      and therefore seperate instances of webalizer run for different reports,
                      but if I just wanted it by directory of the main server, would that be
                      possible to include it?

                      Thanks.
                    • Ali DAN-BOUZOUA
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 5, 2004
                        Thank

                        I remove the RPM and I compile webalizer from the source (Webalizer.org )and
                        it WORKS !!. Next time I will try Webalizer and GeoIP.

                        My question: I lost some days stats, but I archived the logs. Can I process
                        them without messing my stats?

                        Regards,

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 5, 2004
                          Sure, no problem! Just use incremental mode, "webalizer -i", on archived logs!

                          > I remove the RPM and I compile webalizer from the source (Webalizer.org )and
                          > it WORKS !!. Next time I will try Webalizer and GeoIP.
                          >
                          > My question: I lost some days stats, but I archived the logs. Can I process
                          > them without messing my stats?
                          >
                          > Regards,

                          Powered by Outblaze
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 6, 2004
                            > My question: I lost some days stats, but I archived the logs. Can I process
                            > them without messing my stats?

                            You cannot go back and process missed days if you use incremental mode.
                            You need to remove the incremental data file (default: webalizer.current)
                            and re-process your logs from the start of the month. If you don't use
                            incremental mode (which 99.999% of the web sites out there should not be
                            using), then you just need to re-process your monthly log.