Re: [webalizer] Hello & 3 Q's: xml-export, thousand separator, virtual hosts

  • Fabien Chevalier
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
      thkscans wrote:

      >What I'd like to know, is the any version of webalizer to export xml
      >files, so the reports can be formated according to the site design?

      I'm personnaly working on this feature...but it won't be available before
      a few month, as i lack time to code it...
      For now a very tiny part of statistics can be exported as XML.

      Bye,

      Fabien Chevalier
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
        > What I'd like to know, is the any version of webalizer to export xml
        > files, so the reports can be formated according to the site design?

        No. Use the various HTML* keywords instead.

        > Is there a possibility to get the values displayed with a thousand
        > seperator?

        There is a patch somewhere to add this, but I don't remember off hand
        where it is..

        > And last question (for now ;)): Is there any tool/version/patch to
        > create seperate reports for virtual hosts if there is no way to modify
        > the server configuration is proposed in webalizer f.a.q.?

        Depends on your setup. If you are logging to a single file, then you will
        need to manually split out each vhosts logs and process seperately.
        As far as I recall, I don't remember saying anything about having to
        modify a web server configuration in order to support vhosts.. the only
        thing suggested in the faq is for automatic processing of vhosts, but
        that doesn't involve any modifications to the web server itself.

      • software@thknuth.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
          Hi Fabien,

          Fabien wrote 01.03.2004
          > I'm personnaly working on this feature...but it won't be available before
          > a few month, as i lack time to code it...
          > For now a very tiny part of statistics can be exported as XML.
          Let us now when you're done or on beta testing. :o)

          Th.
        • software@thknuth.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004

            Bradford wrote:
            > No. Use the various HTML* keywords instead.
            Tried to, but then I loose the color on the table cells.

            >> Is there a possibility to get the values displayed with a thousand
            >> seperator?
            > There is a patch somewhere to add this, but I don't remember off hand
            > where it is..
            Would be great if anyone had an URL for me. Thanks :)

            >> And last question (for now ;)): Is there any tool/version/patch to
            >> create seperate reports for virtual hosts if there is no way to modify
            >> the server configuration is proposed in webalizer f.a.q.?

            > Depends on your setup. If you are logging to a single file, then you will
            > need to manually split out each vhosts logs and process seperately.
            > As far as I recall, I don't remember saying anything about having to
            > modify a web server configuration in order to support vhosts.. the only
            > thing suggested in the faq is for automatic processing of vhosts, but
            > that doesn't involve any modifications to the web server itself.

            I'm logging to a single file and I cannot change that. Found one
            little tool to split which is not able to handle *.gz. So I will have
            to have a look into coding my on little tool to the job.

            Th.
          • Fabien Chevalier
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
              software@... wrote:
              Hi Fabien,

              Fabien wrote 01.03.2004

              I'm personnaly working on this feature...but it won't be available before
              a few month, as i lack time to code it...
              For now a very tiny part of statistics can be exported as XML.

              Let us now when you're done or on beta testing. :o)

              Th.

              Ok.
              I'll let you know...

              Bye,

              Fabien
            • waldo kitty
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                software@... wrote:

                > I'm logging to a single file and I cannot change that. Found one
                > little tool to split which is not able to handle *.gz. So I will have
                > to have a look into coding my on little tool to the job.

                can't you gunzip the file first and then run the split? that's what's going to be done, anyway... this is just adding an
                intermediate writting of the logfile to the drive before processing...

                gunzip logfile.gz
                split logfile
                webalizer logfile1
                webalizer logfile2

                or, you could pipe the gunzip output to the splitter and let the splitter pull all them out in one pass...

                gunzip logfile.gz | splitter
                webalizer logfile1
                webalizer logfile2
                etc...

                you could to the splitting with grep but then you have to take a pass for each domain you have...

                gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain1 > domain1.log
                gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain2 > domain2.log
                gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain3 > domain3.log
                webalizer domain1.log
                webalizer domain2.log
                webalizer domain3.log

                and finally, i can't remember if webalizer can take data on stdin but if it can, you could likely do something like this...

                gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain1 | webalizer

                this last is, after all, the *nix way of doing things ;-)

                --
                _\/
                (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                  >and finally, i can't remember if webalizer can take data on stdin but if it can, you could likely do something like this...

                  Yep, it can.

                  >gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain1 | webalizer
                  >
                  >this last is, after all, the *nix way of doing things ;-)

                  The above will work.

                  Bye,

                  Fabien
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                    > I'm logging to a single file and I cannot change that. Found one
                    > little tool to split which is not able to handle *.gz. So I will have
                    > to have a look into coding my on little tool to the job.

                    simple shell script involving zcat and grep should be all you need.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                      > gunzip logfile.gz | splitter
                      [... lots of ideas removed for clarity ...]

                      One observation.. gunzip does not writ to stdout :)

                      You can either use 'gunzip -c filename .....'
                      or zcat which should do the same thing.

                    • Fabien Chevalier
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                        Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
                        gunzip logfile.gz | splitter

                        [... lots of ideas removed for clarity ...]

                        One observation.. gunzip does not writ to stdout :)

                        You can either use 'gunzip -c filename .....'
                        or zcat which should do the same thing.

                        Oops. Sure, zcat is better ;-)

                        bye,

                        Fabien