Hello & 3 Q's: xml-export, thousand separator, virtual hosts

  • thkscans
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hello everyone,

      my name is Thoralf and I am new to the group. ATM I'm using webalizer
      to start analyzing several traffic logs by some of our projects. So I
      came here to ask some questions and to learn by "reading around".

      What I'd like to know, is the any version of webalizer to export xml
      files, so the reports can be formated according to the site design?

      Is there a possibility to get the values displayed with a thousand
      seperator?

      And last question (for now ;)): Is there any tool/version/patch to
      create seperate reports for virtual hosts if there is no way to modify
      the server configuration is proposed in webalizer f.a.q.?

      TIA! :o)
    • Fabien Chevalier
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
        thkscans wrote:

        >What I'd like to know, is the any version of webalizer to export xml
        >files, so the reports can be formated according to the site design?

        I'm personnaly working on this feature...but it won't be available before
        a few month, as i lack time to code it...
        For now a very tiny part of statistics can be exported as XML.

        Bye,

        Fabien Chevalier
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 1, 2004
          > What I'd like to know, is the any version of webalizer to export xml
          > files, so the reports can be formated according to the site design?

          No. Use the various HTML* keywords instead.

          > Is there a possibility to get the values displayed with a thousand
          > seperator?

          There is a patch somewhere to add this, but I don't remember off hand
          where it is..

          > And last question (for now ;)): Is there any tool/version/patch to
          > create seperate reports for virtual hosts if there is no way to modify
          > the server configuration is proposed in webalizer f.a.q.?

          Depends on your setup. If you are logging to a single file, then you will
          need to manually split out each vhosts logs and process seperately.
          As far as I recall, I don't remember saying anything about having to
          modify a web server configuration in order to support vhosts.. the only
          thing suggested in the faq is for automatic processing of vhosts, but
          that doesn't involve any modifications to the web server itself.

        • software@thknuth.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
            Hi Fabien,

            Fabien wrote 01.03.2004
            > I'm personnaly working on this feature...but it won't be available before
            > a few month, as i lack time to code it...
            > For now a very tiny part of statistics can be exported as XML.
            Let us now when you're done or on beta testing. :o)

            Th.
          • software@thknuth.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004

              Bradford wrote:
              > No. Use the various HTML* keywords instead.
              Tried to, but then I loose the color on the table cells.

              >> Is there a possibility to get the values displayed with a thousand
              >> seperator?
              > There is a patch somewhere to add this, but I don't remember off hand
              > where it is..
              Would be great if anyone had an URL for me. Thanks :)

              >> And last question (for now ;)): Is there any tool/version/patch to
              >> create seperate reports for virtual hosts if there is no way to modify
              >> the server configuration is proposed in webalizer f.a.q.?

              > Depends on your setup. If you are logging to a single file, then you will
              > need to manually split out each vhosts logs and process seperately.
              > As far as I recall, I don't remember saying anything about having to
              > modify a web server configuration in order to support vhosts.. the only
              > thing suggested in the faq is for automatic processing of vhosts, but
              > that doesn't involve any modifications to the web server itself.

              I'm logging to a single file and I cannot change that. Found one
              little tool to split which is not able to handle *.gz. So I will have
              to have a look into coding my on little tool to the job.

              Th.
            • Fabien Chevalier
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                software@... wrote:
                Hi Fabien,

                Fabien wrote 01.03.2004

                I'm personnaly working on this feature...but it won't be available before
                a few month, as i lack time to code it...
                For now a very tiny part of statistics can be exported as XML.

                Let us now when you're done or on beta testing. :o)

                Th.

                Ok.
                I'll let you know...

                Bye,

                Fabien
              • waldo kitty
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                  software@... wrote:

                  > I'm logging to a single file and I cannot change that. Found one
                  > little tool to split which is not able to handle *.gz. So I will have
                  > to have a look into coding my on little tool to the job.

                  can't you gunzip the file first and then run the split? that's what's going to be done, anyway... this is just adding an
                  intermediate writting of the logfile to the drive before processing...

                  gunzip logfile.gz
                  split logfile
                  webalizer logfile1
                  webalizer logfile2

                  or, you could pipe the gunzip output to the splitter and let the splitter pull all them out in one pass...

                  gunzip logfile.gz | splitter
                  webalizer logfile1
                  webalizer logfile2
                  etc...

                  you could to the splitting with grep but then you have to take a pass for each domain you have...

                  gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain1 > domain1.log
                  gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain2 > domain2.log
                  gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain3 > domain3.log
                  webalizer domain1.log
                  webalizer domain2.log
                  webalizer domain3.log

                  and finally, i can't remember if webalizer can take data on stdin but if it can, you could likely do something like this...

                  gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain1 | webalizer

                  this last is, after all, the *nix way of doing things ;-)

                  --
                  _\/
                  (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                    >and finally, i can't remember if webalizer can take data on stdin but if it can, you could likely do something like this...

                    Yep, it can.

                    >gunzip logfile.gz | grep domain1 | webalizer
                    >
                    >this last is, after all, the *nix way of doing things ;-)

                    The above will work.

                    Bye,

                    Fabien
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                      > I'm logging to a single file and I cannot change that. Found one
                      > little tool to split which is not able to handle *.gz. So I will have
                      > to have a look into coding my on little tool to the job.

                      simple shell script involving zcat and grep should be all you need.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                        > gunzip logfile.gz | splitter
                        [... lots of ideas removed for clarity ...]

                        One observation.. gunzip does not writ to stdout :)

                        You can either use 'gunzip -c filename .....'
                        or zcat which should do the same thing.

                      • Fabien Chevalier
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 3, 2004
                          Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
                          gunzip logfile.gz | splitter

                          [... lots of ideas removed for clarity ...]

                          One observation.. gunzip does not writ to stdout :)

                          You can either use 'gunzip -c filename .....'
                          or zcat which should do the same thing.

                          Oops. Sure, zcat is better ;-)

                          bye,

                          Fabien