weird error from log (leap year?)

  • Gary Bernstein
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 9:36 AM
      I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the following
      message was caused
      by the fact that yesterday was Feb 29, a leap day? If
      not, any idea what
      would have caused this?

      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Error: Skipping oversized log record
      Webalizer V2.01-09 (Darwin 6.8) English
      Webalizer V2.01-09 (Darwin 6.8) English
      Using logfile /var/log/httpd/hd.access_log.backup
      (clf)
      Creating output in /Groups/hd/webalizer
      Hostname for reports is 'Hd'
      Reading history file... webalizer.hist
      Reading previous run data.. webalizer.current
      Saving current run data... [02/28/2004 23:54:51]
      Generating report for February 2004
      Generating summary report
      Saving history information...
      2052 records (21 bad) in 0.16 seconds

      Thanks.
      -Gary
      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
      * * * * * * * * * *
      -- "I tried, but it didn't work" is a lot better than
      "I wish I'd tried."

      Gary R. Bernstein Director of Computer
      Information & Access
      bernsteg@... Krannert Center for
      the Performing Arts
      217-244-1038 College of Fine &
      Applied Arts - UIUC
      http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1 9:45 AM
        Typically caused by feeding the webalizer a bogus log file or one that
        has corrupt data in it. Easy to determine, just look at the file you
        are trying to process (/var/log/httpd/hd.access_log.backup). From the
        looks of it, you have some garbage in the log file (at least 21 lines
        worth :) Not really a problem, as those bad records are just skipped
        and won't hose the results.

        --

      • Fabien Chevalier
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1 9:48 AM
          Gary Bernstein wrote:

          >I am wondering if anyone can tell me if the following
          >message was caused
          >by the fact that yesterday was Feb 29, a leap day? If
          >not, any idea what
          >would have caused this?
          >
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record
          >Error: Skipping oversized log record

          Hello,

          I don't think so...it seems that webalizer is '29 february robust'.
          Our ~ 150 webalizer setups don't seem to have suffered from the 29.

          bye,

          Fabien
        • bernsteg
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1 10:26 AM
            Thanks. I had suspected the leap year because it hit all 3 of my
            servers with similar errors all on the same day. I should have
            known better. I looked at the access_log files and sure enough it
            looks like someone was trying to crash my machines or it is
            some sort of worm.

            Thanks.
            -Gary

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett"
            <brad@m...> wrote:

            > Typically caused by feeding the webalizer a bogus log file or
            one that
            > has corrupt data in it. Easy to determine, just look at the file
            you
            > are trying to process (/var/log/httpd/hd.access_log.backup).
            From the