Re: [webalizer] Multithreading

  • Fabien Chevalier
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2004
      Stanislaw Pusep wrote:

      >Absolutely yes; you should break your log in monthly/weekly/daily ones, so they're small enough for Webalizer to use it's Incremental mode. So every day/week/month you process 10 Mb of log, that's like a "poor man's multithread" :)
      >There's utility called "logrotate" that splits every system log.

      Hi,
      I don't understand at all what you mean... :-(
      Could you be a little more precise about how you suggest to speed up
      processing of that huge file?

      Bye,

      Fabien
    • Stanislaw Pusep
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 24, 2004
        > Hi,
        > I don't understand at all what you mean... :-(
        > Could you be a little more precise about how you suggest to speed up
        > processing of that huge file?

        I guess there's no way to help THAT file. The best you can do is process
        it once and after that use Webalizer's Incremental mode every time you
        generate stats. Incremental mode saves latest state of log so it hasn't
        reread entire log file. So my suggestion is: process that huge file and
        set you system to NOT to create huge file; weekly or more frequently system
        backups actual log and rewinds it to zero size. This way you have small
        logs every week/day and Webalizer is fast with them.