Multithreading

  • Glen
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 23 4:16 PM
      Is it possible at all for Webalizer to run multithreaded? I have a
      2.0GB, and a 1.5GB log file to process and was trying to find ways
      that would speed it up.

      Thanks.
    • Stanislaw Pusep
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23 7:48 PM
        Absolutely yes; you should break your log in monthly/weekly/daily ones, so they're small enough for Webalizer to use it's Incremental mode. So every day/week/month you process 10 Mb of log, that's like a "poor man's multithread" :)
        There's utility called "logrotate" that splits every system log.

        > Is it possible at all for Webalizer to run multithreaded? I have a
        > 2.0GB, and a 1.5GB log file to process and was trying to find ways
        > that would speed it up.
        >
        > Thanks.

        > ttp://www.webalizer.org
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Powered by Outblaze
      • Fabien Chevalier
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24 4:27 AM
          Stanislaw Pusep wrote:

          >Absolutely yes; you should break your log in monthly/weekly/daily ones, so they're small enough for Webalizer to use it's Incremental mode. So every day/week/month you process 10 Mb of log, that's like a "poor man's multithread" :)
          >There's utility called "logrotate" that splits every system log.

          Hi,
          I don't understand at all what you mean... :-(
          Could you be a little more precise about how you suggest to speed up
          processing of that huge file?

          Bye,

          Fabien
        • Stanislaw Pusep
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24 8:01 PM
            > Hi,
            > I don't understand at all what you mean... :-(
            > Could you be a little more precise about how you suggest to speed up
            > processing of that huge file?

            I guess there's no way to help THAT file. The best you can do is process
            it once and after that use Webalizer's Incremental mode every time you
            generate stats. Incremental mode saves latest state of log so it hasn't
            reread entire log file. So my suggestion is: process that huge file and
            set you system to NOT to create huge file; weekly or more frequently system
            backups actual log and rewinds it to zero size. This way you have small
            logs every week/day and Webalizer is fast with them.