Best Rotation scheme?

  • Maarten van der Hoek / W.T. Internationa
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2001
      We`ve been running with an old version of webalizer quite some time, however
      this week we`re planning an major update of the web-server. (current logs
      can be deleted!)

      Now I was wondering what kind of logging is best for the latest version?
      W3C?

      And what kind of rotation is advisable ?
      Daily?

      We like to run the program scheduled, shouldn`t be a problem, right?
      Also multiple virtual sites are running...

      Best regards,

      Maarten van der Hoek
    • Jean-Noel HAYART
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2001
        hi
        i think best rotation is daily, cause if you want to run webalizer daily (or
        more) for make incremental work, you can use rename log tag for change
        extension of log when webalizer have finish to process it.
        and each time you start webalizer, it just read new log file ..

        regard's

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2001
          Jean,

          how can I perform daily rotation on a Win2k server ? I use Webalizer 2.01.06
          .

          I thank you in advance.

          Best regards.
          ____________________________
          Marco Lanata
          Virtual srl
          Via Vinelli 34/2
          16043 Chiavari (GE) - ITALY
          Tel +39 0185 368005
          Fax +39 0185 368107
          email : marco@...
          http://www.tigullio.it
          ____________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2001
            hi

            it's an option from IIS server , web server, properies, Log + advanced ...

            regards

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 12, 2001
              Jean,

              I know how to set IIS to rotate log daily. What I need is a script to launch
              daily in order to process with Webalizer the correct log automatically. The
              name of the log file is based on the date, so how can I perform this task ?

              Thank you for your help.
              ____________________________
              Marco Lanata
              Virtual srl
              Via Vinelli 34/2
              16043 Chiavari (GE) - ITALY
              Tel +39 0185 368005
              Fax +39 0185 368107
              email : marco@...
              http://www.tigullio.it
              ____________________________

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 12, 2001
                hi

                you haven't do change command for start webalizer : follow my sample :
                - first use daily log
                - use webalizer like :
                - take a folder
                - incremental work
                - rename log after process
                - and you just have to start webalizer (without log filename) each time you
                want to make reports .
                On somes systemes (with very big log) i start wenalizer each 15 minutes ...

                regard's

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 13, 2001
                  Jean,

                  We tried to follow your sample, however when starting Webalizer the
                  log file gets corrupted (last 10 lines) and unusable...
                  Also it keeps the same name!
                  Looks like it's locked by the NT 4 file system..

                  Any Idea's?

                  Best Regards,

                  Maarten van der Hoek

                  --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel HAYART" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
                  > hi
                  >
                  > you haven't do change command for start webalizer : follow my
                  sample :
                  > - first use daily log
                  > - use webalizer like :
                  > - take a folder
                  > - incremental work
                  > - rename log after process
                  > - and you just have to start webalizer (without log filename) each
                  time you
                  > want to make reports .
                  > On somes systemes (with very big log) i start wenalizer each 15
                  minutes ...

                  > regard's
                  >

                  > -----Message d'ori
                • Jean-Noel HAYART
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 13, 2001
                    hi*

                    sorry it's perhaps cause your log is strange to my code ...

                    can you send me a sample of log file ???

                    regards

                    We tried to follow your sample, however when starting Webalizer the
                    log file gets corrupted (last 10 lines) and unusable...
                    Also it keeps the same name!
                    Looks like it's locked by the NT 4 file system..

                    Any Idea's?

                    Best Regards,

                    Maarten van der Hoek

                    --- In webalizer@y..., "Jean-Noel HAYART" <jnhayart@n...> wrote:
                    > hi
                    >
                    > you haven't do change command for start webalizer : follow my
                    sample :
                    > - first use daily log
                    > - use webalizer like :
                    > - take a folder
                    > - incremental work
                    > - rename log after process
                    > - and you just have to start webalizer (without log filename) each
                    time you
                    > want to make reports .
                    > On somes systemes (with very big log) i start wenalizer each 15
                    minutes ...

                    > regard's
                    >

                    > -----Message d'ori

                  • Marco Lanata
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 13, 2001
                      Jean,

                      thank you for your suggestion - everything seems to work correctly.

                      Best regards.
                      Marco Lanata
                      Virtual srl
                      Via Vinelli 34/2