Re: [webalizer] crontab and "run-parts"

  • John B. Moore
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
      Not a stupid question..<G>

        Yes it was.. I made a copy of the logrotate file and renamed it "webalizer" and made sure it had the exact same permissions as logrotate.  I checked roots "email" and saw no specific errors from cron..  it appears to be running everything as I would expect.. (this does not necessarily mean that it is working "right"..<G>)

          John...

      Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
      I thought I would be clever and place the webalizer "crontab" in a
      file in the cron.daily directory and let "run-parts" run it along with
      the other cron jobs in that directory.. (RedHat9)

      Stupid question, but is it marked as executable?  What output do you get
      (from cron and/or command line execution.. usually errors will be mailed
      back to the user).

      --
      Bradford L. Barrett                      brad@...
      A free electron in a sea of neutrons     DoD#1750 KD4NAW

    • enventa2000
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2004
        I'm not sure of the bakground of this one, so please excuse any
        mistaken asumptions.

        > I made a copy of the logrotate file and renamed it
        > "webalizer"

        I guess you mean some file like "/etc/cron.daily/logrotate". You have
        to change the contents in the "logrotate" file too, just the name
        will not do. You are just running the same script twice, one under
        the "logrotate" name, and one under the "webalizer" name.

        The "logrotate" file has instructions inside about running the
        logrotate program, which is probably in "/usr/bin/logrotate" or some
        other place. The new file called "webalizer" has the exact same
        instructions, and it doesn't know that it is supossed to run
        webalizer.

        The "logrotate" file was a valid script with no errors, so
        the "webalizer" file won't either give back any errors.

        Try looking at the file content, changing it, downloading some guide
        to use "bash" and scripts will help you.