Re: [webalizer] crontab and "run-parts"

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
      > I thought I would be clever and place the webalizer "crontab" in a
      > file in the cron.daily directory and let "run-parts" run it along with
      > the other cron jobs in that directory.. (RedHat9)

      Stupid question, but is it marked as executable? What output do you get
      (from cron and/or command line execution.. usually errors will be mailed
      back to the user).

    • John B. Moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
        Not a stupid question..<G>

          Yes it was.. I made a copy of the logrotate file and renamed it "webalizer" and made sure it had the exact same permissions as logrotate.  I checked roots "email" and saw no specific errors from cron..  it appears to be running everything as I would expect.. (this does not necessarily mean that it is working "right"..<G>)

            John...

        --
        Bradford L. Barrett                      brad@...
        A free electron in a sea of neutrons     DoD#1750 KD4NAW

      • enventa2000
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20 7:59 PM
          I'm not sure of the bakground of this one, so please excuse any
          mistaken asumptions.

          > I made a copy of the logrotate file and renamed it
          > "webalizer"

          I guess you mean some file like "/etc/cron.daily/logrotate". You have
          to change the contents in the "logrotate" file too, just the name
          will not do. You are just running the same script twice, one under
          the "logrotate" name, and one under the "webalizer" name.

          The "logrotate" file has instructions inside about running the
          logrotate program, which is probably in "/usr/bin/logrotate" or some
          other place. The new file called "webalizer" has the exact same
          instructions, and it doesn't know that it is supossed to run
          webalizer.

          The "logrotate" file was a valid script with no errors, so
          the "webalizer" file won't either give back any errors.

          Try looking at the file content, changing it, downloading some guide
          to use "bash" and scripts will help you.