crontab and "run-parts"

  • John B. Moore
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
      I thought I would be clever and place the webalizer "crontab" in a
      file in the cron.daily directory and let "run-parts" run it along with
      the other cron jobs in that directory.. (RedHat9)

      Well, it does not seem to work..<sigh>

      I made sure that each line runs manually on the commandline.. example..

      /usr/local/bin/webalizer -c
      /usr/local/apache/htdocs/ucitri/webalizer/webalizer.conf

      --this runs fine and created the desired webalizer files in the
      desired directory.

      Can't see to find a reason it did not work...

      For now I'm sticking the usual lines directly in crontab.. for each
      website.

      Anybody have some suggestions..

      John...
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
        > I thought I would be clever and place the webalizer "crontab" in a
        > file in the cron.daily directory and let "run-parts" run it along with
        > the other cron jobs in that directory.. (RedHat9)

        Stupid question, but is it marked as executable? What output do you get
        (from cron and/or command line execution.. usually errors will be mailed
        back to the user).

      • John B. Moore
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
          Not a stupid question..<G>

            Yes it was.. I made a copy of the logrotate file and renamed it "webalizer" and made sure it had the exact same permissions as logrotate.  I checked roots "email" and saw no specific errors from cron..  it appears to be running everything as I would expect.. (this does not necessarily mean that it is working "right"..<G>)

              John...

          --
          Bradford L. Barrett                      brad@...
          A free electron in a sea of neutrons     DoD#1750 KD4NAW

        • enventa2000
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 20, 2004
            I'm not sure of the bakground of this one, so please excuse any
            mistaken asumptions.

            > I made a copy of the logrotate file and renamed it
            > "webalizer"

            I guess you mean some file like "/etc/cron.daily/logrotate". You have
            to change the contents in the "logrotate" file too, just the name
            will not do. You are just running the same script twice, one under
            the "logrotate" name, and one under the "webalizer" name.

            The "logrotate" file has instructions inside about running the
            logrotate program, which is probably in "/usr/bin/logrotate" or some
            other place. The new file called "webalizer" has the exact same
            instructions, and it doesn't know that it is supossed to run
            webalizer.

            The "logrotate" file was a valid script with no errors, so
            the "webalizer" file won't either give back any errors.

            Try looking at the file content, changing it, downloading some guide
            to use "bash" and scripts will help you.