Re: [webalizer] Trail Following addons.

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
      > I've looked through the forum and a few people have mentioned
      > writing 'trail' addons for webalizer. I can't seem to find a link to
      > anything concrete though!

      It is not possible to accurately report user 'trails', given that you
      cannot accurately identify individual users given just a server log.

    • moonpodgames
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@m...> >
        > It is not possible to accurately report user 'trails', given that
        you
        > cannot accurately identify individual users given just a server log.

        I do realise the limitations it has, and you have described in an
        earlier post why its innaccuracy makes it ouside the scope of
        webalizer, which makes sense. Earlier posts mention people writing
        patches to do it (which I would guess are no less innacurate than
        something like Wusage?), but I can't find any links to those patches
        anywhere.

        Basically I'd still like to have a go at it, even though I know the
        results are adversely affected by many things. Or would people
        recommend using another app entirely (if so, does anyone have
        reccomendations other than wusage that I should look into?)

        When looking into what web pages are working on your site from a
        sales point of view, some information is better than none!

        -thanks.
      • Bradley Miller
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2004
          Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get a cron job to work with my
          webalizer? I have my files like this:

          /home/sites/companya/logs/2003/11/access.01 - day 1, november, 2003
          /home/sites/companya/logs/2003/11/access.02 - day 2, november, 200

          /home/sites/companyb/logs/2003/11/access.01 - day 1, november, 2003
          /home/sites/companyb/logs/2003/11/access.02 - day 2, november, 200

          To clarify that -- the script goes under each web site's location. So

          /home/sites/companya/logs/analyze.sh
          /home/sites/companyb/logs/analyze.sh
          /home/sites/companyc/logs/analyze.sh

          This was my first attempt (analyze.sh):

          for i in ./*/*/access.*
          do webalizer -o ../web/stats/ $i;
          done

          The problem is I think the script isn't running right when called as
          cronjob. Any suggestions?
        • enventa2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20, 2004
            Your script is being executed in the cron folder. This means that if
            the cron script is in /etc/cron.daily then "./" is "etc/cron.daily"
            and "../" will become "/etc".

            "./*/*/access.*" was probably nothing, because "/etc/cron.daily" has
            no subdorectories, and "../web/stats" was "/etc/web/stats".

            To solve this problem, put can this line at the start of the script:
            cd /the_directory_I_usually_run_the_script_from
            Or you can put absolute paths instead of relative.

            I have written some scripts below.

            Your script was like this:

            # non-working cron script
            # /home/sites/companyc/logs/analyze.sh
            for i in ./*/*/access.*
            do webalizer -o ../web/stats/ $i;
            done

            And would become this:

            # relative paths script
            for SITE in /home/sites/* ; do
            cd /home/sites/"$SITE"/logs;
            for j in ./access.*
            do webalizer -o ../web/stats/ $j;
            done;
            done;

            Or perhaps this:

            # absolute paths script
            SITESPATH="/home/sites"
            for i in $SITESPATH/* ; do
            LOGPATH=$SITESPATH$i/logs
            for j in $LOGPATH/access.*
            do webalizer -o $SITESPATH/web/stats/ $j;
            done;
            done;

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Bradley Miller <bradmiller@a...>