Trail Following addons.

  • moonpodgames
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
      I've looked through the forum and a few people have mentioned
      writing 'trail' addons for webalizer. I can't seem to find a link to
      anything concrete though!

      What I'm after is something like the following:

      http://www.boutell.com/wusage/example/weekly/2001/12/09/trails.html

      This is Wusage output, but I thought I'd check if there was any way
      to use webalizer as it seems silly to run two analysis packages one
      after the other, and in general I prefer the concise output from
      webalizer.

      On a related note: other than the ftp:
      ftp://ftp.mrunix.net/pub/webalizer/contrib/

      is there a central resource for webalizer related addons? Seems there
      has been a lot of talk of various hacks and patches, but nowhere to
      find them.

      -thanks
      -Nick Tipping
      www.moonpod.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
        > I've looked through the forum and a few people have mentioned
        > writing 'trail' addons for webalizer. I can't seem to find a link to
        > anything concrete though!

        It is not possible to accurately report user 'trails', given that you
        cannot accurately identify individual users given just a server log.

      • moonpodgames
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2004
          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@m...> >
          > It is not possible to accurately report user 'trails', given that
          you
          > cannot accurately identify individual users given just a server log.

          I do realise the limitations it has, and you have described in an
          earlier post why its innaccuracy makes it ouside the scope of
          webalizer, which makes sense. Earlier posts mention people writing
          patches to do it (which I would guess are no less innacurate than
          something like Wusage?), but I can't find any links to those patches
          anywhere.

          Basically I'd still like to have a go at it, even though I know the
          results are adversely affected by many things. Or would people
          recommend using another app entirely (if so, does anyone have
          reccomendations other than wusage that I should look into?)

          When looking into what web pages are working on your site from a
          sales point of view, some information is better than none!

          -thanks.
        • Bradley Miller
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2004
            Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get a cron job to work with my
            webalizer? I have my files like this:

            /home/sites/companya/logs/2003/11/access.01 - day 1, november, 2003
            /home/sites/companya/logs/2003/11/access.02 - day 2, november, 200

            /home/sites/companyb/logs/2003/11/access.01 - day 1, november, 2003
            /home/sites/companyb/logs/2003/11/access.02 - day 2, november, 200

            To clarify that -- the script goes under each web site's location. So

            /home/sites/companya/logs/analyze.sh
            /home/sites/companyb/logs/analyze.sh
            /home/sites/companyc/logs/analyze.sh

            This was my first attempt (analyze.sh):

            for i in ./*/*/access.*
            do webalizer -o ../web/stats/ $i;
            done

            The problem is I think the script isn't running right when called as
            cronjob. Any suggestions?
          • enventa2000
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 20, 2004
              Your script is being executed in the cron folder. This means that if
              the cron script is in /etc/cron.daily then "./" is "etc/cron.daily"
              and "../" will become "/etc".

              "./*/*/access.*" was probably nothing, because "/etc/cron.daily" has
              no subdorectories, and "../web/stats" was "/etc/web/stats".

              To solve this problem, put can this line at the start of the script:
              cd /the_directory_I_usually_run_the_script_from
              Or you can put absolute paths instead of relative.

              I have written some scripts below.

              Your script was like this:

              # non-working cron script
              # /home/sites/companyc/logs/analyze.sh
              for i in ./*/*/access.*
              do webalizer -o ../web/stats/ $i;
              done

              And would become this:

              # relative paths script
              for SITE in /home/sites/* ; do
              cd /home/sites/"$SITE"/logs;
              for j in ./access.*
              do webalizer -o ../web/stats/ $j;
              done;
              done;

              Or perhaps this:

              # absolute paths script
              SITESPATH="/home/sites"
              for i in $SITESPATH/* ; do
              LOGPATH=$SITESPATH$i/logs
              for j in $LOGPATH/access.*
              do webalizer -o $SITESPATH/web/stats/ $j;
              done;
              done;

              --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Bradley Miller <bradmiller@a...>