Showing top entry, tying search strings to search engines

  • Nick Selby
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
      Hi all,
      I'm having some difficulties in my logging attempts and hope someone can help.

      1. I'm getting all the search strings and all the search engines, but
      separately - that is, I'd like to see which search strings were used on which
      engine. I know that when google sends someone it's in the q=. My config file
      currfently says this:

      SearchEngine yahoo.com p=
      SearchEngine google.com q=
      SearchEngine eureka.com q=
      SearchEngine lycos.com query=
      SearchEngine hotbot.com MT=
      SearchEngine msn.com MT=
      SearchEngine infoseek.com qt=
      SearchEngine webcrawler.com searchText=
      SearchEngine excite.com search=
      SearchEngine netscape.com search=
      SearchEngine mamma.com query=
      SearchEngine alltheweb.com query=
      SearchEngine northernlight.com qr=

      Shouldn't that deal with it for me?

      2. My config file says:

      TopEntry 100
      TopExit 50

      yet I only get top ten of these. How come?

      3. I keep getting this message:
      Warning: Truncating oversized request field
      Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
      Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field

      Can I make this go away? I'd like to see the long request field for
      troubleshooting reasons.

      Thanks in advance,
      nick
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
        > 1. I'm getting all the search strings and all the search engines, but
        > separately - that is, I'd like to see which search strings were used on which
        > engine.

        Currently, all search strings, regardless of engine, are displayed. There
        is no breakdown by search engine.

        [...]
        > 2. My config file says:
        >
        > TopEntry 100
        > TopExit 50
        >
        > yet I only get top ten of these. How come?

        Can be for one of two reasons. Most common is that the program will only
        display 'visable' objects, that is, those that are not hidden. If you
        only have 10 non-hidden entries in the table, you can set the Top* value
        to any number you like, but you will still only get 10 displayed.
        Another reason is there may be a config file laying around that is
        over-riding your settings above.

        > 3. I keep getting this message:
        > Warning: Truncating oversized request field
        > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
        > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
        >
        > Can I make this go away? I'd like to see the long request field for
        > troubleshooting reasons.

        See: http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html (Question #13)

      • Nick Selby
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
          Thanks for all this!

          On Wednesday 28 January 2004 16:36, Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
          > > 1. I'm getting all the search strings and all the search engines, but
          > > separately - that is, I'd like to see which search strings were used on
          > > which engine.
          >
          > Currently, all search strings, regardless of engine, are displayed. There
          > is no breakdown by search engine.
          >
          > [...]
          >
          > > 2. My config file says:
          > >
          > > TopEntry 100
          > > TopExit 50
          > >
          > > yet I only get top ten of these. How come?
          >
          > Can be for one of two reasons. Most common is that the program will only
          > display 'visable' objects, that is, those that are not hidden. If you
          > only have 10 non-hidden entries in the table, you can set the Top* value
          > to any number you like, but you will still only get 10 displayed.
          > Another reason is there may be a config file laying around that is
          > over-riding your settings above.
          >
          > > 3. I keep getting this message:
          > > Warning: Truncating oversized request field
          > > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
          > > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
          > >
          > > Can I make this go away? I'd like to see the long request field for
          > > troubleshooting reasons.
          >
          > See: http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html (Question #13)
          >
          > --
          > Bradford L. Barrett brad@...

          ----------------------------
          Nick Selby

          US Mobile: +1 347 804 4410
          Germany: +49 89 2737 4527
          Germany Fax: +49 89 2737 4529
          *Currently in: MUNICH*
        • Nick Selby
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004

            > > 2. My config file says:
            > >
            > > TopEntry 100
            > > TopExit 50
            > >
            > > yet I only get top ten of these. How come?
            >
            > Can be for one of two reasons. Most common is that the program will only
            > display 'visable' objects, that is, those that are not hidden. If you
            > only have 10 non-hidden entries in the table, you can set the Top* value
            > to any number you like, but you will still only get 10 displayed.
            > Another reason is there may be a config file laying around that is
            > over-riding your settings above.

            Sorry, I am not understanding where something can be HIDDEN or not. Can I set
            this or is this something beyond my control?

            > > 3. I keep getting this message:
            > > Warning: Truncating oversized request field
            > > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
            > > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
            > >
            > > Can I make this go away? I'd like to see the long request field for
            > > troubleshooting reasons.
            >
            > See: http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html (Question #13)

            That answer tells me how to shut off the warning but not how to see the entire
            string! Is there any way I can see the entire string>?

            TIA

            nick

            > --
            > Bradford L. Barrett brad@...

            ----------------------------
            Nick Selby

            US Mobile: +1 347 804 4410
            Germany: +49 89 2737 4527
            Germany Fax: +49 89 2737 4529
            *Currently in: MUNICH*
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
              > Sorry, I am not understanding where something can be HIDDEN or not. Can I set
              > this or is this something beyond my control?

              There are several "Hide*" keywords in your config file (HideURL, HideSite,
              etc..) as well as command line options to do the same. Most people will
              at least hide graphic images and such.. others hide various parts of their
              site that they don't want people to see in the stats. YMMV.

              > > > 3. I keep getting this message:
              > > > Warning: Truncating oversized request field
              > > > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
              > > > Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field
              > > >
              > > > Can I make this go away? I'd like to see the long request field for
              > > > troubleshooting reasons.
              > >
              > > See: http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html (Question #13)
              >
              > That answer tells me how to shut off the warning but not how to see the entire
              > string! Is there any way I can see the entire string>?

              No, that answer is really explaining why the warnings are generated..
              because there is a limited buffer size internally which cannot be
              exceeded.

              How do you give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt when you
              know that if you were to throw it in a room with truth, you'd
              risk a matter/anti-matter explosion? -- Nicholas Petreley IDG
            • Nick Selby
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2004
                Thanks for the clarification!