Usage by country

  • Albert Hlun
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 27 2:40 PM
      anybody know why my webalizer doesn't show the usage by country any
      more?

      http://cacc.info/webalizer/usage_200401.html

      Albert
    • simon benedict
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 19, 2004
        hi all,

        i have installed webalizer and wanna use it to generate graphs with IIS  generated log files

        what is the log format i have to choose in IIS and is there any special setting in the webalizer conf files

        tappreciate ur help

        regards

        simon

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        click here

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Boulytchev, Vasiliy
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 19, 2004
          Its not difficult at all.  As a matter of fact, I am running webalizer logs for all of our IIS clients.

          The webalizer command to a default w3c log file in IIS is

          webalizer -F w3c -c conf.conf log.log

          now, certainly its a cron job for many many conf files and logs, but the above should work just fine.

          Vasiliy Boulytchev
          Colorado Information Technologies, Inc.
          http://www.coinfotech.com

          i have installed webalizer and wanna use it to generate graphs with IIS  generated log files

          what is the log format i have to choose in IIS and is there any special setting in the webalizer conf files

          tappreciate ur help

          regards

          simon

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          click here

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Do you Yahoo!?

          ttp://www.webalizer.org

        • simon benedict
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 21, 2004
            Hi All

            I am running webalizer on Linux Box and using the log files from IIS to generate the statistics.

            but the usage by country shows me 87%  unresolved/unknown

            i really dont know if it should be this way and how do i get rid of this so that my pie chart graph shows all countries

            do i have to change any settings in my IIS or the webalizer.conf file

            thnks and appreacite

            regards

            simon

              > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/x-pkcs7-signature name=smime.p7s

              Do you Yahoo!?

            • Stanislaw Pusep
              Message 5 of 9 , Apr 21, 2004
                Hello Simon!
                By default, Webalizer's country identification comes from reverse DNS records that Web server wrotes to logs. Every time client connects Apache tries to obtain it's hostname by IP address and writes hostname to logs. Webalizer simply extracts hostname suffix and resolves country name using special table.
                The problem is: not all clients has hostname associated. Many ISP doesn't care about this. So Webalizer "gets lost".
                To overcome this problem you can use software that has database to associate IP ranges directly to country. I've written a patch that integrates GeoIP library support into Webalizer: http://sysd.org/proj/log.php#glzr
                On this address there's a patch to Webalizer source and static binary for Linux. Good luck!

                > I am running webalizer on Linux Box and using the log files from IIS to generate the statistics.
                >
                > but the usage by country shows me 87% unresolved/unknown
                >

                > http://weblog.baladia.gov.kw/usage_200404.html
                >

                > i really dont know if it should be this way and how do i get rid of this so that my pie chart graph shows all countries
                >
                > do i have to change any settings in my IIS or the webalizer.conf file
                >

                > thnks and appreacite
                >

                > regards
                >
                > simon
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/x-pkcs7-signature name=smime.p7s

                Powered by Outblaze
              • simon benedict
                Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2004
                  thanks a lot for ur reply but i want to tell you that i am using the  IIS generated log to generate the web statistics.

                  What i mean exactly is this

                  my website is running on win2k machine running IIS and i generate logs in ncsa.log format and I ftp them to my red hat linux box where i have webalizer running to get my web usage .

                  so the logs are produced by IIS and not by apache .

                  is there any change i need to do in IIS or change the log file format ??

                  appreciate if you let me know

                  thanks n regards

                  simon

                  Message 7 of 9 , May 5, 2004
                    hi,

                    I have downloaded the patch for linux and unzipped it the below directory

                    /usr/src/geolizer_2.01-10-static-linux

                    I already had Webalizer V2.01-10 (Linux 2.4.18-14) English installed before .

                    there is a sample.conf file avaliable and has the keywords

                    GeoIP          yes
                     GeoIPDatabase  /usr/local/share/GeoIP/GeoIP.dat

                    the path to the GeoIP.dat file

                    but it gives me the following error when i run webalizer saying

                    Warning: Invalid keyword 'GeoIP' (webalizer.conf)
                    Warning: Invalid keyword 'GeoIPDatabase' (webalizer.conf)

                    also i cannot run  the patch as speciafied in the INSTALL file

                    appreciate if you can let me know the steps i can patch webalizer and have use the GeoIP database or

                    if I can use the keyword GeoIP in the webalizer.conf file directly and how

                    thanks and appreciate

                    simon

                    Do you Yahoo!?
                  • simon benedict
                    Message 8 of 9 , May 16, 2004

                      hi,

                      I have recently used webalizer to process my squid log files and there are 2 queries i want to clearify

                      i am using the patched webalizer and when I run it i get the below errors . the squid access.log file size was about 9 mb

                      1) Warning: Truncating oversized request field
                      Skipping bad record (50155)
                      Warning: Truncating oversized request field [50236]
                      Warning: Truncating oversized request field [50915]
                      Warning: Truncating oversized request field [51177]

                      2) the countries option show unresolved/unknown 100 %

                      do i need to make any changes in my squid.conf file

                      appreciate your help

                      thanks and regards

                      simon

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • enventa2000
                      Message 9 of 9 , May 17, 2004
                        > hi,

                        Hello.

                        > I have recently used webalizer to process my squid log files and
                        there are 2 queries i want to clearify

                        > i am using the patched webalizer and when I run it i get the below
                        errors . the squid access.log file size was about 9 mb

                        > 1) Warning: Truncating oversized request field
                        > Skipping bad record (50155)
                        > Warning: Truncating oversized request field [50236]
                        > Warning: Truncating oversized request field [50915]
                        > Warning: Truncating oversized request field [51177]

                        These are only warnings. You may want to attempt to solve the "bad
                        record" warning, because of its potencial for problems in the future.
                        The number in parenthesis is the line number in the log file.

                        Launch your favourite text editor and open the squid logfile. Go to
                        line number 50155 and inspect the line and the lines around it. You
                        will probably find a log entry cut in half, or some other strange
                        thing. Delete the faulty line or correct it if you prefer so.

                        The "oversized request field" are very long URLs. You can edit the
                        code and increase the size of the internal fields storing the URLs,
                        but notice that this will cause webalizer to increase menory usage.
                        You may run out of RAM if your machine has very little memory.

                        In webalizer.h you'll find a line like this:

                        #define MAXURLH 128 /* Max URL field size in htab
                        */

                        You need to change 128 to a higher value. If you have a 32 bit
                        machine, it is more efficient to increase this value in increases of
                        32. Try 128+32=160 or 128+32*2=192

                        #define MAXURLH 160

                        You'll probably still have warnings unless you put a very high value.
                        Normally those are attempts to overflow some buffer in your server, or
                        some sites which have exagerately long request strings for some
                        reason.

                        > 2) the countries option show unresolved/unknown 100 %
                        >

                        > do i need to make any changes in my squid.conf file

                        Hum, have you activated the DNS resolution in webalizer.conf? This
                        line should be uncommented. No need to uncomment the DNSCache line.

                        DNSChildren 10

                        Also notice that you need to compile using this option in the
                        "configure" script:

                        make clean
                        ./configure --enable-dns
                        make
                        make install

                        Is your server capable of resolving addresses? (try executing
                        "nslookup some_ip" in the command line)