Search strings, referrers, and agents not showing up... please help!

  • jlyandco
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2004
      I still cannot get any of the search strings, referrers, and agents to
      display... and I am at a loss. I think I have everything set
      correctly, but nothing changes. I'm going to include sections of both
      my current "webalizer.conf" and "httpd.conf" files... If someone would
      PLEASE check my work -- and catch what I'm obviously missing -- I'd
      appreciate it. Thanks, Jeff
      =========================
      webalizer.conf

      AllReferrers yes
      AllSearchStr yes
      MangleAgents DEFAULT
      TopAgents 15
      TopReferrers 30
      TopSearch 20

      >>> Is this correct? What am I missing, or what could I have "on" that
      should be "off"?
      =========================
      httpd.conf

      #
      HostnameLookups On
      #
      ErrorLog logs/error_log
      #
      # LogLevel: Control the number of messages logged to the error_log.
      # alert, emerg.
      #
      LogLevel warn
      #
      # The following directives define some format nicknames for use with
      # a CustomLog directive (see below).
      #
      LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
      \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
      LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
      LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
      #
      # The location and format of the access logfile (Common Logfile Format).
      # If you do not define any access logfiles within a <VirtualHost>
      # container, they will be logged here. Contrariwise, if you *do*
      # define per-<VirtualHost> access logfiles, transactions will be
      # logged therein and *not* in this file.
      #
      #CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log common
      #
      # If you would like to have agent and referer logfiles, uncomment the
      # following directives.
      #
      #CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/referer_log referer
      #CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/agent_log agent
      #
      # If you prefer a single logfile with access, agent, and referer
      information
      # (Combined Logfile Format) you can use the following directive.
      #
      CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log combined
      As a final stupid question: I believe that once I make whatever
      changes to the various .conf files, that I need to delete my current
      webalizer directory (for THAT particular "virtual host" -- not at the
      "root" (server level) -- and then reinstall the program for that
      particular virtual host. Is this true, or do I need to up the dosage
      of my meds! Thanks again!
    • Gary Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2004
        Not sure exactely what you are trying to do, but this works! Gary
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - (BEGINING)
        # /etc/webalizer/your-domain.com (substitute your domain name in the
        # 5 references below where it says
        # "your-domain")

        LogFile /var/log/httpd/your-domain.com
        OutputDir /var/lib/webalizer/your-domain.com
        HostName www.your-domain.com
        Incremental yes
        Quiet yes

        # Usually you want to hide these
        HideURL *.gif
        HideURL *.Gif
        HideURL *.css
        HideURL *.jpg
        HideURL *.JPG
        HideURL *.png
        HideURL *.PNG
        HideURL *.ra

        # Your own site should be hidden
        HideSite *your-domain.com
        HideSite localhost

        # Your own site gives the most referals
        HideReferrer *your-domain.com

        # This one hides non-referrers ("-" Direct requests)
        HideReferrer Direct Request

        # Updated on 10-05-2003

        GroupReferrer alltheweb. Alltheweb
        HideReferrer alltheweb.

        GroupReferrer altavista. Altavista
        HideReferrer altavista.

        GroupReferrer aol. AOL
        HideReferrer aol.

        GroupReferrer askjeeves. AskJeeves
        HideReferrer askjeeves.

        GroupReferrer ask. Ask
        HideReferrer ask.

        GroupReferrer completeplanet. Completeplanet
        HideReferrer completeplanet.

        GroupReferrer dmoz. OpenDirectoryProject
        HideReferrer dmoz.

        GroupReferrer dmoz. domz
        HideReferrer dmoz.

        GroupReferrer dogpile. dogpile
        HideReferrer dogpile.

        GroupReferrer eureka. eureka
        HideReferrer eureka.

        GroupReferrer excite. Excite
        HideReferrer excite.

        GroupReferrer fast. Fast
        HideReferrer fast.

        GroupReferrer fireball. Fireball
        HideReferrer fireball.

        GroupReferrer go. Go
        HideReferrer go.

        GroupReferrer google. Google
        HideReferrer google.

        GroupReferrer hotbot. Hotbot
        HideReferrer hotbot.

        GroupReferrer infoseek. InfoSeek
        HideReferrer infoseek.

        GroupReferrer inktomi. Inktomi
        HideReferrer inktomi.

        GroupReferrer iwon. Iwon
        HideReferrer iwon.

        GroupReferrer looksmart. Looksmart
        HideReferrer looksmart.

        GroupReferrer lycos. Lycos
        HideReferrer lycos.

        GroupReferrer mama. mama
        HideReferrer mama.

        GroupReferrer msn.com/ MSN
        HideReferrer msn.com/

        GroupReferrer netscape. Netscape
        HideReferrer netscape.

        GroupReferrer northernlight. Northernlight
        HideReferrer northernlight.

        GroupReferrer overture. Overture
        HideReferrer overture.

        GroupReferrer sympatico. sympatico
        HideReferrer sympatico.

        GroupReferrer teoma. Teoma
        HideReferrer teoma.

        GroupReferrer terra. Terra
        HideReferrer terra.

        GroupReferrer uruguaytotal. Uruguaytotal
        HideReferrer uruguaytotal.

        GroupReferrer web.de web.de
        HideReferrer web.de

        GroupReferrer webcrawler. WebCrawler
        HideReferrer webcrawler.

        GroupReferrer wisenut. Wisenut
        HideReferrer wisenut.

        GroupReferrer yahoo. Yahoo!
        HideReferrer yahoo.

        GroupReferrer yupimsn. MSN
        HideReferrer yupimsn.

        # The "Top" options below define the number of entries for each table.
        # Defaults are Sites=30, URL's=30, Referrers=30 and Agents=15, and
        # Countries=30. TopKSites and TopKURLs (by KByte tables) both default
        # to 10, as do the top entry/exit tables (TopEntry/TopExit). The top
        # search strings and usernames default to 20. Tables may be disabled
        # by using zero (0) for the value.

        #TopSites 30
        #TopKSites 10
        #TopURLs 30
        #TopKURLs 10
        #TopReferrers 30
        #TopAgents 15
        #TopCountries 30
        #TopEntry 10
        #TopExit 10
        #TopSearch 20
        TopSearch 40
        #TopUsers 20

        # The SearchEngine keywords allow specification of search engines and
        # their query strings on the URL. These are used to locate and report
        # what search strings are used to find your site. The first word is
        # a substring to match in the referrer field that identifies the search
        # engine, and the second is the URL variable used by that search engine
        # to define it's search terms.

        # Updated on 10-05-2003
        SearchEngine alltheweb.com query=
        SearchEngine altavista.com q=
        SearchEngine aol. query=
        SearchEngine dmoz.org search=
        SearchEngine dogpile. q=
        SearchEngine eureka.com q=
        SearchEngine excite. search=
        SearchEngine google.com q=
        SearchEngine hotbot.com MT=
        SearchEngine infoseek.com qt=
        SearchEngine lycos.com query=
        SearchEngine mamma.com query=
        SearchEngine msn.com MT=
        SearchEngine netscape.com search=
        SearchEngine northernlight.com qr=
        SearchEngine overture. Keywords=
        SearchEngine sympatico. query=
        SearchEngine webcrawler. searchText=
        SearchEngine yahoo.com p=

        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- (END)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2004
          If you changed the log format for apache, you need to restart apache for
          the changes to take effect. The program won't show you referrers and user
          agents if it's not in your logs, so just check the last couple of lines in
          your log to make sure that info is there. Everything else looks fine.
          And you should not need to remove the output directory for the webalizer.

          --

        • Ackerman Family
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 12, 2004
            I am currently running ver 2.0, is upgrading to 2.01 a matter of downloading ver 2.01 and replacing my exe.

            Thanks,
            Ron
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 12, 2004
              > I am currently running ver 2.0, is upgrading to 2.01 a matter of downloading
              > ver 2.01 and replacing my exe.

              No. Please see the README.FIRST document supplied with the distribution
              for important upgrade information.

            • blane_warrene
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 12, 2004
                Your apache config looks right for combined logs - you could add %q to
                the logformat (I believe) to capture query strings as well..

                If you have multiple domains - you may want to create an individual
                conf file for each domain (domain1.conf, domain2.conf, domain3.conf),
                put them all in a folder (/etc/webalizer) and run this command in cron
                to process all log files:

                for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf; do webalizer -c $i; done

                I use this to process logs for a multitude of domains and allows me to
                custom configure each domain's webalizer results.

                Blane Warrene
                http://www.practicalapplications.net