Re: [webalizer] detecting webalizer on PC

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
      The program must be physically downloaded(*) and installed. If you permit
      activity that allows people to 'secretly' install software, then of course
      anything is possible. Some might also consider that to be a security
      concern, since there is no way of knowing what people might have loaded
      on your box.

      As for detecting it.. well, how about just searching for the binary
      executable 'webalizer'? If you think they munged the name of the binary,
      then look for HTML/image files named 'usage_*'. The output doesn't do
      much good unless it can be viewed by a browser, so if this is a remote
      machine, chances are those pages will be somewhere under the web servers
      root document tree. Or perhaps the output is ftp'd off the server, so
      you can check the xferlog file for entries. These are pretty trivial
      things that any green system admin should know.. but it really doesn't
      make much difference if you have a system policy in place where you have
      no control over who installs what.

      (*) RedHat and several other distros include the webalizer on their stock
      distribution CD's, so a standard system install may have placed the files
      on the system automatically.

      --

      On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Tony Miller wrote:

      > I'm still waiting for any input from the group on how to detect if
      > Webalizer has been secretly installed on a computer?
      >
      > Thanks.

      > ttp://www.webalizer.org
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Ackerman Family
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
        Why would you believe that Webalizer has been secretly installed. Do you have people useing your computer besides you? Webalizer is a Website Statistics tool. It is used to view statistics on those who visit a web site. Here is an example of the output on one of my sites http://www.usaiway.net/stats/ I think that it would take too much user interaction physically at the PC to actually install Webalizer.

        I hope this helps.
        Ron

        > I'm still waiting for any input from the group on how to detect if
        > Webalizer has been secretly installed on a computer?

        what would make you ask such a question?

        --
                _\/
               (@@)                      Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA

        ttp://www.webalizer.org

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • enventa2000
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 20, 2004
          To know if someone installed webalizer:

          IN UNIX: login as root and use one of the following:

          locate usage_
          locate webalizer

          If you don't have locate (which is unlikely), try this:

          find / -name "usage_*"

          This command will search all partitions and mounts active at this
          moment. It may take 15 minutes or even much more...

          IN WINDOWS:

          Open "Start" and then "Search". Look for namefile usage_* You can
          also search for files named README or named webalizer

          To be really sure, you could also search by content of file. Just
          search for some string that appears in the results page or in the
          README file.

          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@m...>