Re: [webalizer] detecting webalizer on PC

  • waldo kitty
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
      Tony Miller wrote:

      > I'm still waiting for any input from the group on how to detect if
      > Webalizer has been secretly installed on a computer?

      what would make you ask such a question?

      --
      _\/
      (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
        The program must be physically downloaded(*) and installed. If you permit
        activity that allows people to 'secretly' install software, then of course
        anything is possible. Some might also consider that to be a security
        concern, since there is no way of knowing what people might have loaded
        on your box.

        As for detecting it.. well, how about just searching for the binary
        executable 'webalizer'? If you think they munged the name of the binary,
        then look for HTML/image files named 'usage_*'. The output doesn't do
        much good unless it can be viewed by a browser, so if this is a remote
        machine, chances are those pages will be somewhere under the web servers
        root document tree. Or perhaps the output is ftp'd off the server, so
        you can check the xferlog file for entries. These are pretty trivial
        things that any green system admin should know.. but it really doesn't
        make much difference if you have a system policy in place where you have
        no control over who installs what.

        (*) RedHat and several other distros include the webalizer on their stock
        distribution CD's, so a standard system install may have placed the files
        on the system automatically.

        --

        On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Tony Miller wrote:

        > I'm still waiting for any input from the group on how to detect if
        > Webalizer has been secretly installed on a computer?
        >
        > Thanks.

        > ttp://www.webalizer.org
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Ackerman Family
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 9, 2004
          Why would you believe that Webalizer has been secretly installed. Do you have people useing your computer besides you? Webalizer is a Website Statistics tool. It is used to view statistics on those who visit a web site. Here is an example of the output on one of my sites http://www.usaiway.net/stats/ I think that it would take too much user interaction physically at the PC to actually install Webalizer.

          I hope this helps.
          Ron

          > I'm still waiting for any input from the group on how to detect if
          > Webalizer has been secretly installed on a computer?

          what would make you ask such a question?

          --
                  _\/
                 (@@)                      Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA

          ttp://www.webalizer.org

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • enventa2000
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 20, 2004
            To know if someone installed webalizer:

            IN UNIX: login as root and use one of the following:

            locate usage_
            locate webalizer

            If you don't have locate (which is unlikely), try this:

            find / -name "usage_*"

            This command will search all partitions and mounts active at this
            moment. It may take 15 minutes or even much more...

            IN WINDOWS:

            Open "Start" and then "Search". Look for namefile usage_* You can
            also search for files named README or named webalizer

            To be really sure, you could also search by content of file. Just
            search for some string that appears in the results page or in the
            README file.

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@m...>