log format understood be Webalizer

  • Andrea Classen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 19, 2003
      Dear all,
      I've been using a self-defined custom logfile format for Apache.
      LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\
      %q %H %V" myFormat

      which shows up in a log file as, for example:
      100.200.10.20 - - [27/Nov/2003:08:41:16 +0000] "GET
      /pt/images/Buttons/chap2.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2587
      "http://myvhost.mydomain.com/pt/chap1/" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE
      6.0; Windows NT 5.1)\ HTTP/1.1 myvhost.mydomain.com

      Webalizer works ok, but when asked to list user agents, it reports
      referers instead(????)
      So I guess it expects some normal log format here and does not
      understand my format. In the Readme and related documents, I only found
      references how to add the User-Agent to the log file, but it is already
      there!

      There is no problem to sed the files into any other format, but I do not
      find any specifications on how the format is supposed to be. Can anybody
      tell me which log formats are ok?

      Thank you for helping!
      Andrea
    • waldo kitty
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2003
        Andrea Classen wrote:
        > There is no problem to sed the files into any other format, but I do not
        > find any specifications on how the format is supposed to be. Can anybody
        > tell me which log formats are ok?

        the second paragraph under "What is The Webalizer" in the README file says

        ===== quote =====

        The Webalizer supports CLF (common log format) log files, as well as
        Combined log formats as defined by NCSA and others, and variations
        of these which it attempts to handle intelligently. In addition, wu-ftpd
        xferlog formatted logs and squid proxy logs are supported.

        ===== end =====

        how could you have missed that?

        --
        _\/
        (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2004
          Thanks for the answer, sorry for the long delay, I was on holidays.

          But I had not missed this paragraph of the README when I sent my
          question. I also know how generally the Combined log format is defined
          in a stanadard Apache installation.
          As I stated in my original message in detail, I am looking for an
          explanation or examples on the variations mentioned here, if possible.
          What does it mean that Webalizer attempts to handle variations
          intelligently, i.e. why would it not understand my format? Sorry if my
          question was not clear enough the first time.

          I had written ....