How does webalizer work, some questions...

  • Andreas Korthaus
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2003
      Hi!

      I have some difficulties to understand how webalizer works. What I wanted to
      do was to update Webalizer-Stats one time per day, and one time per month
      archive my logs. So I dayly saved the dayly log-entries, and let webalizer
      work on it. But webalizer allways forgets the old Log-Data, from day
      before... so now I use the same, monthly Logfile, which becomes bigger and
      bigger over the month, but this seems to be the only way. But what will
      happen if the month is over? After that I first will run webalizer, and
      after this I will archive my logs(move to archive), and after this restart
      Apache. Will Webalizer save the old Data?webalizer.hist doesn't save the
      whole data, does webalizer store the data automatically after each month?

      And another question, how should I restart my Apache(Thats what I do now):

      # stop apache
      kill `cat /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid`

      # move logs
      mv /home/www/live/logs/httpd_access.log `echo $NEW_ACCESS_LOG`

      # restart apache
      /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd

      What doesn not work is to use:

      /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl stop
      mv /home/www/live/logs/httpd_access.log `echo $NEW_ACCESS_LOG`
      /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start

      seems Apache is not stopped completely. But I do not feel very well if I
      just kill all processes!

      What about:

      mv /home/www/live/logs/httpd_access.log `echo $NEW_ACCESS_LOG`
      /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl restart

      What would you prefer?

      Thank You!

      Andreas