Re: [webalizer] Webalizer patch

  • Fabien Chevalier
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
      Todd T. Fries wrote:

      >Nice list.
      >
      >I sent an email a while back, I don't recall see'ing an answer.
      >
      >One very nice thing I would personally like to see is support for IPv6 in
      >webalizer so that I do not have a bunch of '2001' or '3ffe' entries dangling
      >as referrers.
      >
      >Thanks,

      Okay..you're right...if forgot you had called for this.

      Bradford's Webalizer does not support IPV6, but
      the Debian release does.

      You can check out the latest release at
      http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/webalizer.html .

      bye,

      Fabien.
    • Fabien Chevalier
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
        Hi all,

        Here follows (better late than never) some remarks concerning the 'Path
        graphs functionnality'.

        We (read: me & Juliana Multimedia people) agree with the fact that
        information reported
        by the path graphs is bogus. This is, as far as we now, because of the
        various levels of proxying
        that occur, that we will never be able to report it 100% accurately.

        Though, some of the information reported is already bogus:
        - Top URLS is completely bogus because of the http proxys.
        - Visits use a trick which ends the visit after 30 minutes of inactivity.
        - This trick makes Top exit pages bogus too.
        - key words are by default bogus because we can't say which are the
        most used
        if we don't already know which engines our users are using
        (especially if you consider
        Webalizer's engines list is *really* out of date & US specific)

        So what's wrong in bringing something 'not that accurate' in an already
        not perfect world ?

        cheers,

        Fabien.

        PS: Please tell us if we're wrong in our analysis of what is bogus and
        what is not...
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
          > Though, some of the information reported is already bogus:
          > - Top URLS is completely bogus because of the http proxys.

          If you consider proxy interaction, then ALL information is bogus, which
          is completly incorrect. The Webalizer was designed to measure traffic
          on a web server. Proxy traffic that the web server never sees plays no
          part in this measurement. There are some things that can be determined
          100% in relation to the traffic a server receives. The objects being
          requested is one of them (ie: URLs). Other absolute metrics that can
          be determined are IP addresses making the requests, time and date of
          the request, the web servers response to the request, and the web servers
          reported amount of bytes sent in response to the request.

          > - Visits use a trick which ends the visit after 30 minutes of inactivity.
          > - This trick makes Top exit pages bogus too.

          These are the exceptions, and is plainly stated in the documentation that
          these numbers are not accurate;

          For visits, from the README file;

          "Due to the limitation of the HTTP protocol, log rotations and other
          factors, this number should not be taken as absolutely accurate, rather,
          it should be considered a pretty close "guess".

          And for Entry/Exit pages;

          " The Top Entry and Exit tables give a rough estimate of what URL's
          are used to enter your site, and what the last pages viewed are.
          Because of limitations in the HTTP protocol, log rotations, etc...
          this number should be considered a good "rough guess" of the actual
          numbers, however will give a good indication of the overall trend in
          where users come into, and exit, your site."

          This metric was added because I was flooded with requests for it.. after
          a couple of thousand requests, I broke down and added the functionality,
          even though I did not want to given it's inaccurate nature.

          > - key words are by default bogus because we can't say which are the
          > most used
          > if we don't already know which engines our users are using
          > (especially if you consider
          > Webalizer's engines list is *really* out of date & US specific)

          Wrong again.. while you may not be able to capture all of the search terms
          for the thousands of various search engines out there, the ones that are
          captured can be considered completely accurate. If you see a search term
          show up as the most used, then it is in fact the most used search term of
          all the search engines you may have defined.