Re: [webalizer] Webalizer patch

  • Todd T. Fries
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
      Nice list.

      I sent an email a while back, I don't recall see'ing an answer.

      One very nice thing I would personally like to see is support for IPv6 in
      webalizer so that I do not have a bunch of '2001' or '3ffe' entries dangling
      as referrers.

      Thanks,
      --
      Todd Fries .. todd@...

      Free Daemon Consulting, LLC Land: 405-748-4596
      http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com Mobile: 405-203-6124
      "..in support of free software solutions."

      Key fingerprint: 37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
      Key: http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt

      (last updated 2003/03/13 07:14:10)

      Penned by Fabien Chevalier on Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 07:06:01PM +0200, we have:

      | Hello Webalizer list!
      |
      | First, i'd like to thank all of you who have sent me
      | suggestions or comments, either publicly or privately.
      |
      | But i not only play with words, it also happens
      | that i play with my GNU C tools :) .
      |
      | So here is the first result of my work on 'The Webalizer'.
      | It implements what was called in my paper 'Path graphs' (please see my
      | first post for this paper).
      | I must admit the 'Pathalizer' gave me the inspiration for
      | this functionnality.
      |
      | Attached is the output produced.
      |
      | As usual, comments and feedback are appreciated. (Is anybody
      | interested in this functionnality?)
      |

      | Cheers,
      |
      | Fabien.
      |
      | PS: Bradford, maybe you want to see the patch?

      | Webalizer homepage: http://www.webalizer.org
      | Webalizer for NT: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

    • Fabien Chevalier
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
        Todd T. Fries wrote:

        >Nice list.
        >
        >I sent an email a while back, I don't recall see'ing an answer.
        >
        >One very nice thing I would personally like to see is support for IPv6 in
        >webalizer so that I do not have a bunch of '2001' or '3ffe' entries dangling
        >as referrers.
        >
        >Thanks,

        Okay..you're right...if forgot you had called for this.

        Bradford's Webalizer does not support IPV6, but
        the Debian release does.

        You can check out the latest release at
        http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/webalizer.html .

        bye,

        Fabien.
      • Fabien Chevalier
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
          Hi all,

          Here follows (better late than never) some remarks concerning the 'Path
          graphs functionnality'.

          We (read: me & Juliana Multimedia people) agree with the fact that
          information reported
          by the path graphs is bogus. This is, as far as we now, because of the
          various levels of proxying
          that occur, that we will never be able to report it 100% accurately.

          Though, some of the information reported is already bogus:
          - Top URLS is completely bogus because of the http proxys.
          - Visits use a trick which ends the visit after 30 minutes of inactivity.
          - This trick makes Top exit pages bogus too.
          - key words are by default bogus because we can't say which are the
          most used
          if we don't already know which engines our users are using
          (especially if you consider
          Webalizer's engines list is *really* out of date & US specific)

          So what's wrong in bringing something 'not that accurate' in an already
          not perfect world ?

          cheers,

          Fabien.

          PS: Please tell us if we're wrong in our analysis of what is bogus and
          what is not...
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
            > Though, some of the information reported is already bogus:
            > - Top URLS is completely bogus because of the http proxys.

            If you consider proxy interaction, then ALL information is bogus, which
            is completly incorrect. The Webalizer was designed to measure traffic
            on a web server. Proxy traffic that the web server never sees plays no
            part in this measurement. There are some things that can be determined
            100% in relation to the traffic a server receives. The objects being
            requested is one of them (ie: URLs). Other absolute metrics that can
            be determined are IP addresses making the requests, time and date of
            the request, the web servers response to the request, and the web servers
            reported amount of bytes sent in response to the request.

            > - Visits use a trick which ends the visit after 30 minutes of inactivity.
            > - This trick makes Top exit pages bogus too.

            These are the exceptions, and is plainly stated in the documentation that
            these numbers are not accurate;

            For visits, from the README file;

            "Due to the limitation of the HTTP protocol, log rotations and other
            factors, this number should not be taken as absolutely accurate, rather,
            it should be considered a pretty close "guess".

            And for Entry/Exit pages;

            " The Top Entry and Exit tables give a rough estimate of what URL's
            are used to enter your site, and what the last pages viewed are.
            Because of limitations in the HTTP protocol, log rotations, etc...
            this number should be considered a good "rough guess" of the actual
            numbers, however will give a good indication of the overall trend in
            where users come into, and exit, your site."

            This metric was added because I was flooded with requests for it.. after
            a couple of thousand requests, I broke down and added the functionality,
            even though I did not want to given it's inaccurate nature.

            > - key words are by default bogus because we can't say which are the
            > most used
            > if we don't already know which engines our users are using
            > (especially if you consider
            > Webalizer's engines list is *really* out of date & US specific)

            Wrong again.. while you may not be able to capture all of the search terms
            for the thousands of various search engines out there, the ones that are
            captured can be considered completely accurate. If you see a search term
            show up as the most used, then it is in fact the most used search term of
            all the search engines you may have defined.