Re: [webalizer] Webalizer patch

  • Michael Crawford
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
      I would love that functionality. Although the numbers aren't the most
      accurate, it can still be usesful information.
      --
      Cheers,
      Michael

      Michael Crawford | Memorial University of
      Systems Administrator | Newfoundland
    • Todd T. Fries
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
        Nice list.

        I sent an email a while back, I don't recall see'ing an answer.

        One very nice thing I would personally like to see is support for IPv6 in
        webalizer so that I do not have a bunch of '2001' or '3ffe' entries dangling
        as referrers.

        Thanks,
        --
        Todd Fries .. todd@...

        Free Daemon Consulting, LLC Land: 405-748-4596
        http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com Mobile: 405-203-6124
        "..in support of free software solutions."

        Key fingerprint: 37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
        Key: http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt

        (last updated 2003/03/13 07:14:10)

        Penned by Fabien Chevalier on Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 07:06:01PM +0200, we have:

        | Hello Webalizer list!
        |
        | First, i'd like to thank all of you who have sent me
        | suggestions or comments, either publicly or privately.
        |
        | But i not only play with words, it also happens
        | that i play with my GNU C tools :) .
        |
        | So here is the first result of my work on 'The Webalizer'.
        | It implements what was called in my paper 'Path graphs' (please see my
        | first post for this paper).
        | I must admit the 'Pathalizer' gave me the inspiration for
        | this functionnality.
        |
        | Attached is the output produced.
        |
        | As usual, comments and feedback are appreciated. (Is anybody
        | interested in this functionnality?)
        |

        | Cheers,
        |
        | Fabien.
        |
        | PS: Bradford, maybe you want to see the patch?

        | Webalizer homepage: http://www.webalizer.org
        | Webalizer for NT: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

      • Fabien Chevalier
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 7, 2003
          Todd T. Fries wrote:

          >Nice list.
          >
          >I sent an email a while back, I don't recall see'ing an answer.
          >
          >One very nice thing I would personally like to see is support for IPv6 in
          >webalizer so that I do not have a bunch of '2001' or '3ffe' entries dangling
          >as referrers.
          >
          >Thanks,

          Okay..you're right...if forgot you had called for this.

          Bradford's Webalizer does not support IPV6, but
          the Debian release does.

          You can check out the latest release at
          http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/webalizer.html .

          bye,

          Fabien.
        • Fabien Chevalier
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
            Hi all,

            Here follows (better late than never) some remarks concerning the 'Path
            graphs functionnality'.

            We (read: me & Juliana Multimedia people) agree with the fact that
            information reported
            by the path graphs is bogus. This is, as far as we now, because of the
            various levels of proxying
            that occur, that we will never be able to report it 100% accurately.

            Though, some of the information reported is already bogus:
            - Top URLS is completely bogus because of the http proxys.
            - Visits use a trick which ends the visit after 30 minutes of inactivity.
            - This trick makes Top exit pages bogus too.
            - key words are by default bogus because we can't say which are the
            most used
            if we don't already know which engines our users are using
            (especially if you consider
            Webalizer's engines list is *really* out of date & US specific)

            So what's wrong in bringing something 'not that accurate' in an already
            not perfect world ?

            cheers,

            Fabien.

            PS: Please tell us if we're wrong in our analysis of what is bogus and
            what is not...
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2003
              > Though, some of the information reported is already bogus:
              > - Top URLS is completely bogus because of the http proxys.

              If you consider proxy interaction, then ALL information is bogus, which
              is completly incorrect. The Webalizer was designed to measure traffic
              on a web server. Proxy traffic that the web server never sees plays no
              part in this measurement. There are some things that can be determined
              100% in relation to the traffic a server receives. The objects being
              requested is one of them (ie: URLs). Other absolute metrics that can
              be determined are IP addresses making the requests, time and date of
              the request, the web servers response to the request, and the web servers
              reported amount of bytes sent in response to the request.

              > - Visits use a trick which ends the visit after 30 minutes of inactivity.
              > - This trick makes Top exit pages bogus too.

              These are the exceptions, and is plainly stated in the documentation that
              these numbers are not accurate;

              For visits, from the README file;

              "Due to the limitation of the HTTP protocol, log rotations and other
              factors, this number should not be taken as absolutely accurate, rather,
              it should be considered a pretty close "guess".

              And for Entry/Exit pages;

              " The Top Entry and Exit tables give a rough estimate of what URL's
              are used to enter your site, and what the last pages viewed are.
              Because of limitations in the HTTP protocol, log rotations, etc...
              this number should be considered a good "rough guess" of the actual
              numbers, however will give a good indication of the overall trend in
              where users come into, and exit, your site."

              This metric was added because I was flooded with requests for it.. after
              a couple of thousand requests, I broke down and added the functionality,
              even though I did not want to given it's inaccurate nature.

              > - key words are by default bogus because we can't say which are the
              > most used
              > if we don't already know which engines our users are using
              > (especially if you consider
              > Webalizer's engines list is *really* out of date & US specific)

              Wrong again.. while you may not be able to capture all of the search terms
              for the thousands of various search engines out there, the ones that are
              captured can be considered completely accurate. If you see a search term
              show up as the most used, then it is in fact the most used search term of
              all the search engines you may have defined.