Stats for individual folders possible?

  • Jan Wilkening
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
      hi list,

      i'm looking for a way to monitor individual folders of a website.
      it's the website of a college faculty and many of our teachers want to
      know how many students really access the information that has to be
      generated at the cost of valuable research time...... their assistants',
      of course.

      anyway, is there a way of getting webalizer to analyze a specific part
      of the website only? i was thinking of running the program over the same
      logfile sveral times with different config files, but can't think of how
      to tell webalizer to ignore most of the site...

      any ideas appreciated, cause i have none at all.

      cheers,
      jan
    • PeterBX
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
        One way may be similar to how I run it for multiple sites on one server.

        Just set up separate config files inside each folder and run them off the logs using the Ignore and Hide commands to eliminate items outside of the specific folder you are analyzing. If you have the ability to let the server create separate logfiles for each folder this is even easier but not everyone has that ability.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
          PeterBX wrote:
          One way may be similar to how I run it for multiple sites on one server.

          Just set up separate config files inside each folder and run them off the logs using the Ignore and Hide commands to eliminate items outside of the specific folder you are analyzing. If you have the ability to let the server create separate logfiles for each folder this is even easier but not everyone has that ability.

          This could be something like this:
              IgnoreUrl "*"
              IncludeUrl "/teachers"

          One could also lure webalizer with something like that:

          grep " /teachers" logfilename | webalizer -o outputdir -

          cheers,

          Fabien.
        • PeterBX
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
            Well at 6am my time, up late for a techie...lol, my head wasn't around code as much as theory...lol

            One way may be similar to how I run it for multiple sites on one server.

            Just set up separate config files inside each folder and run them off the logs using the Ignore and Hide commands to eliminate items outside of the specific folder you are analyzing. If you have the ability to let the server create separate logfiles for each folder this is even easier but not everyone has that ability.

            This could be something like this:
                IgnoreUrl "*"
                IncludeUrl "/teachers"

            One could also lure webalizer with something like that:

            grep " /teachers" logfilename | webalizer -o outputdir -

            cheers,

            Fabien.

          • Matt Westfall aka ErkDog
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
              use the <Directory directive in apache to create a seperate logfile for
              the physical directory on the server

              Jan Wilkening wrote:

              >hi list,
              >
              >i'm looking for a way to monitor individual folders of a website.
              >it's the website of a college faculty and many of our teachers want to
              >know how many students really access the information that has to be
              >generated at the cost of valuable research time...... their assistants',
              >of course.
              >
              >anyway, is there a way of getting webalizer to analyze a specific part
              >of the website only? i was thinking of running the program over the same
              >logfile sveral times with different config files, but can't think of how
              >to tell webalizer to ignore most of the site...
              >
              >any ideas appreciated, cause i have none at all.
              >
              >cheers,
              >jan

              >Webalizer homepage: http://www.webalizer.org
              >Webalizer for NT: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

            • Michael Crawford
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
                I have this setup for some 200 directories.

                I have individual .conf files for each one. They generate seperate stat
                reports for each dir. by cron job each night.

                I also combined cronolog to rotate the log files on a daily basis. Then the
                stats run on the previous days log file. This helps to limit the amount of
                searching that has to be done.

                If you like I can send you a sample config file.

                --
                Cheers,
                Michael

                Michael Crawford | Memorial University of
                Systems Administrator | Newfoundland
              • Jan Wilkening
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
                  Fabien Chevalier wrote:

                  > PeterBX wrote:
                  >
                  >> One way may be similar to how I run it for multiple sites on one server.
                  >>
                  >> Just set up separate config files inside each folder and run them off
                  >> the logs using the Ignore and Hide commands to eliminate items
                  >> outside of the specific folder you are analyzing. If you have the
                  >> ability to let the server create separate logfiles for each folder
                  >> this is even easier but not everyone has that ability.

                  that sounds interesting, could you give me a starting point on how to do
                  that in apache?

                  > This could be something like this:
                  > IgnoreUrl "*"
                  > IncludeUrl "/teachers"

                  for those who are interested, this worked for me:

                  IncludeURL /teacher/*
                  IgnoreURL *

                  in this order. it doesn't work with IgnoreUrl first.

                  thanks for your ideas. people, it's working :)

                  cheers,
                  jan