Webalizer enhancement project

  • Fabien Chevalier
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
      Hi Webalizer users,

      Im a a student working on The Webalizer with a web-agency named 'Juliana
      Multimedia'.
      I intend to add new features to The Webalizer during the next 6 month.
      The goal is to be able to use The Webalizer not only as a web server
      statistics tool, but also as a web site statistics tool, as well as to
      improve its UI.

      As attachment is a list of the features i intend to code.
      If you are interested, you can let me know what you think of it... and
      even better, let me know about
      what you would like to get The Webalizer improved. It may have its
      place in this wishlist.

      Cheers,

      Fabien.

      fabien (a) juliana-multimedia (dot) com

      PS:
      Bradford, it seems the e-mail i try to send to you are lost...
      I would like your own opinion on these possible enhancements.
    • Marco Lanata
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
        Fabien,

        Great idea !! Go on !!

        What about a console to manage multiple LOGS for multiple sites ?
        And do remember the win32 prtecompiled version !!

        Thank you.

        ________________________________
        Marco Lanata
        Managing Director
        Virtual Duferco Group
        Corso Colombo 12B
        16043 Chiavari (GE) - ITALY
        Tel +39 0185 368005
        Fax +39 0185 311118
        email : m.lanata@...
        http://www.tigullio.it
        ____________________________

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
          Marco Lanata wrote:

          >Fabien,
          >
          >Great idea !! Go on !!
          >
          >What about a console to manage multiple LOGS for multiple sites ?

          Could you be a bit more precise?

          Cheers,

          Fabien.
        • Marco Lanata
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
            Sure.

            Every month I run webalizer against about 100 website. It is a batch with a
            single config file per site and a shared DNS file.

            I'd like to ability to create automatically a summary page for ALL the
            website.

            Thank you.

            ________________________________
            Marco Lanata
            Managing Director
            Virtual Duferco Group
            Corso Colombo 12B
            16043 Chiavari (GE) - ITALY
            Tel +39 0185 368005
            Fax +39 0185 311118
            email : m.lanata@...
            http://www.tigullio.it
            ____________________________

            >What about a console to manage multiple LOGS for multiple sites ?

            Could you be a bit more precise?

            Cheers,

            Fabien.

          • Matt Westfall aka ErkDog
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
              I have an extra CustomLog directive in my Vhosts in apache which dumps all activity to

              everything-access-log

              alternatively you could

              cat log1.log >> everything.log
              cat log2.log >> everything.log
              etc... al..

              then webalizer the everything.log

              Marco Lanata wrote:
[...]

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/sO0ANB/LIdGAA/ySSFAA/NhFolB/TM

            • Fabien Chevalier
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
                Marco Lanata wrote:

                >Sure.
                >
                >Every month I run webalizer against about 100 website. It is a batch with a
                >single config file per site and a shared DNS file.
                >
                >I'd like to ability to create automatically a summary page for ALL the
                >website.
                >
                >Thank you.

                Arrrh... you're the second people asking for this.
                The sys asmin at Juliana Multimedia would also like to have this...
                But i did not yet find any good way to code it into 'The Webalizer'.

                Fabien.
              • Fitzpatrick, Brendan [IT]
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
                  Search for summary.pl in the contrib section on the webalizer site.

                  Brendan

                  >Every month I run webalizer against about 100 website. It is a batch
                  with a
                  >single config file per site and a shared DNS file.
                  >
                  >I'd like to ability to create automatically a summary page for ALL the
                  >website.
                  >
                  >Thank you.

                  Arrrh... you're the second people asking for this.
                  The sys asmin at Juliana Multimedia would also like to have this...
                  But i did not yet find any good way to code it into 'The Webalizer'.

                  Fabien.

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • Matt Westfall aka ErkDog

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
                      Or check for the latest code at http://buildacom.com

                      summary.pl - http://buildacom.com/webalizer

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
                        > PS:
                        > Bradford, it seems the e-mail i try to send to you are lost...
                        > I would like your own opinion on these possible enhancements.

                        I believe I have already responded to this in a previous post (re: what
                        features I do/don't want to see in future versions). I do however always
                        accept patches, and if not merged into the offical code, most will be
                        placed in the contrib section of the ftp site for any others that may
                        be interested.

                      • Fabien Chevalier
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
                          Matt Westfall aka ErkDog wrote:
                          you don't have to code it into the webalizer

                          just make one logfile of everything, like I said
                          Sure, It' by far the simplest way to have it working in five minutes.
                          But this way, you have to process your logs twice.

                          What i  would better like is a 'long term approach', i.e. to find a way to have
                          The Webalizer process each log file once, and be able to generate
                          both single site output and consolitated output for group of sites...

                          cheers,

                          Fabien.

                        • Fabien Chevalier
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 4, 2003
                            Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
                            PS:
                              Bradford, it seems the e-mail i try to send to you are lost...
                              I would like your own opinion on these possible enhancements.

                            I believe I have already responded to this in a previous post (re: what
                            features I do/don't want to see in future versions).  I do however always
                            accept patches, and if not merged into the offical code, most will be
                            placed in the contrib section of the ftp site for any others that may
                            be interested.

                            I must admit i cannot find this post... :-(

                            Would you mind to clarify the situation and point the list to
                            the features you would/won't like to see in The Webalizer ? :-)

                            thanks,

                            Fabien.
                          • Stephan Giesler
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 5, 2003
                              Hi Fabien,

                              I also think this is a great idea. To me it looks like the Webalizer has
                              been written for IT specialists giving a heap of info that's very useful
                              for them (Brad even says so in some docu) but it would be really cool to
                              add information required by the marketing dept. And yes, I know this is
                              a difficult term in a techie list, sorry ;-)

                              My favourites in order to achieve this orientation are for example:

                              - CSS support (maybe after some time even some standard stylesheets will
                              be available, like themes)

                              - just plain graphics, nothing like 3D effects, borders, shadows etc. I
                              attach a screenshot of a counter we once realized but then had to
                              abandon it since it was written in pl and killed off every server :( I
                              thought the design was nice & clean.

                              - being able to select which data to show (only pages and visits are
                              really needed for marketing purposes - Kbytes, hits, files not.)

                              - time spent per page (we resolved this as being the time between
                              request for one page and the next; the last page was left out from the
                              calculation of the average since obiously there was no "next page"-data.
                              When calculating the total time for a page, the average was assumed for
                              the last visit, too.)

                              Well, just a few ideas; I'd be glad if you (and the agency you're
                              working for) find them useful.

                              Regards,
                              Stephan

                              Fabien Chevalier - 8/4/2003 02:51:

                              > Hi Webalizer users,
                              >
                              > Im a a student working on The Webalizer with a web-agency named 'Juliana
                              > Multimedia'.
                              > I intend to add new features to The Webalizer during the next 6 month.
                              > The goal is to be able to use The Webalizer not only as a web server
                              > statistics tool, but also as a web site statistics tool, as well as to
                              > improve its UI.
                              >
                              > As attachment is a list of the features i intend to code.
                              > If you are interested, you can let me know what you think of it... and
                              > even better, let me know about
                              > what you would like to get The Webalizer improved. It may have its
                              > place in this wishlist.
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              >
                              > Fabien.
                              >
                              > fabien (a) juliana-multimedia (dot) com
                              >
                              > PS:
                              > Bradford, it seems the e-mail i try to send to you are lost...
                              > I would like your own opinion on these possible enhancements.

                              Stephan Giesler
                              Av. Gral. Rivera 4725 / 204
                              11400 Montevideo
                              Uruguay