Re: [webalizer] search stats problem

  • Iain Pople
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2003
      Well, I received no replies to my original question so i'll try and
      simplify it. What is the maximum size of a referrer log entry that
      webalizer can handle?

      cheers, Iain.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 10, 2003
        From the source code (webalizer.h):

        #define MAXREF 1024 /* Max referrer field size */

        --
        On Thu, 10 Jul 2003, Iain Pople wrote:

        > Well, I received no replies to my original question so i'll try and
        > simplify it. What is the maximum size of a referrer log entry that
        > webalizer can handle?
        >
        > cheers, Iain.
        >
        > Iain Pople wrote:
        >
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > I have been using webalizer to generate statistics on search terms used
        > > on our local search engine. We are using ultraseek and the search cgi
        > > variable is qt. The search engine runs on the host
        > > websearch.its.unimelb.edu.au so I have the following in my webalizer config:
        > >
        > > SearchEngine websearch.its.unimelb.edu.au qt=
        > >
        > > However I am finding that webalizer is missing a lot of entries. E.g.
        > > when I do a manual count on a particular term using grep I get a much
        > > higher value (approx 10x ) than in the webalizer report. Here is a
        > > typical entry from our web logs:
        > >
        > > 128.250.139.35 - - [08/Jun/2003:00:01:07 +1000] "GET
        > > /ExtRels/Media/UN/archive/1999/414/newsmakers.html HTTP/1.1" 200 14076
        > > "http://websearch.its.unimelb.edu.au/query.html?qp2=&col2=unimelb&ht2=0&qs2=&qc2=
        > > &pw2=100%25&ws2=0&qm2=0&st2=1&nh2=25&lk2=1&rf2=0&rq2=0&si2=1&qt=Dr+Franz+Grieser&submit2.x=10&submit2.y=13"
        > >
        > > "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Q312461; .NET CLR
        > > 1.0.3705)"
        > >
        > > Could it be that the request is too long for webalizer to process?
        > >
        > > cheers, Iain.

      • Iain Pople
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2003

          thanks for the reply (and for writing great software!). The referrer
          field generated by ultraseek are much less than this. Can you think of
          any other reason why webalizer is only picking up a fraction of the
          search terms?

          cheers, Iain.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 11, 2003
            The referrer portion is limited to 1024 bytes in total.. after parsing out
            the hostname/url portion, it is restricted to 128 bytes (which does not
            include the cgi portion). The cgi portion itself (everything after the
            first '?' character is limited to the value defined as MAXSRCH in the
            header file:

            #define MAXSRCH 256 /* Max size of search string buffer */

            and the actual search string, after being parsed out of the above is:

            #define MAXSRCHH 64 /* Max size of search str in htab */

            .. all defined in webalizer.h