webtrends to webalizer

  • Boulytchev, Vasiliy
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 18, 2003
      Ladies and Gents,
      I am a personal enemy of webtrends, and anything with a GUI
      interface. Webtrends is probably the klunkiest analysers I have ever
      faced. What essentially I would LOVE doing is somehow throwing my IIS
      logs onto the linux box running webalizer and apache. I guess the
      questions are:
      1.) W3C and NCSA logs, are they compatible with webalizer?
      2.) IIS cretes a TON of log files. Problems? Concerns?
      3.) Would samba do?

      THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Vasiliy Boulytchev
      Colorado Information Technologies Inc.
      (719) 473-2800 x15
    • Kees de Keizer
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 18, 2003
        On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Boulytchev, Vasiliy wrote:

        > I am a personal enemy of webtrends, and anything with a GUI
        > interface. Webtrends is probably the klunkiest analysers I have ever
        > faced. What essentially I would LOVE doing is somehow throwing my IIS
        > logs onto the linux box running webalizer and apache. I guess the
        > questions are:
        > 1.) W3C and NCSA logs, are they compatible with webalizer?
        > 2.) IIS cretes a TON of log files. Problems? Concerns?
        > 3.) Would samba do?

        Just check here: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
        easynet Nederland PGP: 0x2B27E501 F: +31-10-2448356
        http://www.easynet.nl/ kees.de.keizer@...
      • John Rowe
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 19, 2003
          Hey there.

          I currently have this exact setup with dozens of winnt web servers.

          All you need to do to get it working is compile webalizer with the
          patch to read w3c logfiles, or you could run each log through rconvlog
          but that could take forever.

          Basically this is my setup after compiling with the patches:

          using Samba I smbmounted all of the webserver's logs directories.
          Each site has an entry in a mySQL database with $site $server and
          $servicenumber (where servicenumber is the number after W3SVC in the
          logs directory) I then wrote tons of customized perl scripts that
          pull the info for each site and runs webalizer, basially pumping all
          of the sites into an array. Each server also has it's own
          webalizer.conf file

          Of course with our NT servers the logs are rotated daily which is
          what caused most of the cusomization since the filename changes daily
          and since IIS doesn't put the virtual domain in association with the
          W3SVCXXX.

          In conclusion, it's 100% possible, it's a pain in the butt, but well
          worth it in the end. If you have any other questions, need help, or
          whatever feel free to contact me directly.

          I even got this to work on load balanced NT servers which was a REAL
          pain since you have to use rconvlog to convert them and then use
          mergelog to put them together and then run webalizer on them.

          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Boulytchev, Vasiliy"
          <vboulytchev@c...> wrote:
          > Ladies and Gents,
          > I am a personal enemy of webtrends, and anything with a GUI
          > interface. Webtrends is probably the klunkiest analysers I have
          ever
          > faced. What essentially I would LOVE doing is somehow throwing my
          IIS
          > logs onto the linux box running webalizer and apache. I guess the
          > questions are:
          > 1.) W3C and NCSA logs, are they compatible with webalizer?
          > 2.) IIS cretes a TON of log files. Problems? Concerns?
          > 3.) Would samba do?
          >

          > THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          >

          > Vasiliy Boulytchev
          > Colorado Information Technologies Inc.
          > (719) 473-2800 x15
        • Lillith Lesanges
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 20, 2003
            On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 01:34 post, John Rowe wrote:
            > I even got this to work on load balanced NT servers which was a REAL
            > pain since you have to use rconvlog to convert them and then use
            > mergelog to put them together and then run webalizer on them.

            I've got a bunch of logs from a unix server, that i need to merge so I
            can run webalizer on... what and where is this mergelog, and will it
            run on linux/unix?

            Lillith K. Lesanges
            IT Department, MIS, Inc.
            systems@...
          • Brian Quinn
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 20, 2003
              This is what i do when i have many log files on Unix, it's a build in command.

              First combine all the logs into 1 file like this

              #cat logfile.* > mainlogfile.log

              then do a sort to make sure all the records are in order

              sort -t ' ' -k 4.9,4.12n -k 4.5,4.7M -k 4.2,4.3n -k 4.14,4.15n -k 4.17,4.18n -k 4.20,4.21n mainlogfile.log > sortedlogfile.log

              check out the Man pages on CAT and SORT to figure out what works best for you

              At 11:29 AM 6/20/2003 -0600, you wrote:

              On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 01:34 post, John Rowe wrote:
              > I even got this to work on load balanced NT servers which was a REAL
              > pain since you have to use rconvlog to convert them and then use
              > mergelog to put them together and then run webalizer on them.

              I've got a bunch of logs from a unix server, that i need to merge so I
              can run webalizer on... what and where is this mergelog, and will it
              run on linux/unix?
            • Marco Belmonte
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 20, 2003

                Dear Webalizer Family ;-),

                Could someone please explain to me why only some of my search stats fall under "Yahoo, AOL, MSN, etc.), and the rest from those SAME search engines don't get added, but are in fact, listed separately. Here is what I have listed so far:

                Top 32 of 120 Total Referrers

                #

                Hits

                Referrer

                1

                1205

                6.96%

                - (Direct Request)

                2

                43

                0.25%

                http://www.lanewsfactory.org/

                3

                24

                0.14%

                Yahoo!

                4

                20

                0.12%

                http://www.google.com/search

                5

                11

                0.06%

                http://search.yahoo.com/search

                6

                8

                0.05%

                http://search.tagnet.org/tagnet.cgi

                7

                5

                0.03%

                http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search

                8

                3

                0.02%

                AOL

                9

                3

                0.02%

                http://64.4.26.250/cgi-bin/linkrd

                10

                3

                0.02%

                http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search

                11

                3

                0.02%

                http://www.google.ca/search

                12

                3

                0.02%

                http://www.lanewsfactory.org/index.php

                13

                2

                0.01%

                MSN

                14

                2

                0.01%

                http://216.239.53.100/search

                15

                2

                0.01%

                http://search.msn.com/results.aspx

                16

                2

                0.01%

                http://www.google.co.kr/search

                17

                2

                0.01%

                http://www.google.com.br/search

                18

                1

                0.01%

                Altavista

                19

                1

                0.01%

                http://ca.f418.mail.yahoo.com/ym/ShowLetter

                20

                1

                0.01%

                http://ca.search.msn.com/results.asp

                21

                1

                0.01%

                http://divisions.tagnet.org/north_american/canadian/british_columbia_conference/divisionsListing1.html

                22

                1

                0.01%

                http://search.aol.com/aolcom/search

                23

                1

                0.01%

                http://topics.tagnet.org/theologyandscience/listing1.html

                24

                1

                0.01%

                http://webferret.search.com/click

                25

                1

                0.01%

                http://www.altavista.com/web/iepane

                26

                1

                0.01%

                http://www.altavista.com/web/results

                27

                1

                0.01%

                http://www.cafeshops.com/hsanct

                28

                1

                0.01%

                http://www.google.co.uk/search

                29

                1

                0.01%

                http://www.google.com/custom

                30

                1

                0.01%

                http://www.gsm1888.ro/links.htm

                31

                1

                0.01%

                http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

                32

                1

                0.01%

                http://www.yp4him.org/ministries.html

                Why don’t all my AOL entries show up under AOL? Same with google? Why don’t all the google entries get put under “Google”? Here is the relevant entries in my .conf file. As you can see, I’ve done everything I can from what I’ve read on the various newsgroup to make this work. As far as I can tell, it should be working:

                GroupReferrer alltheweb. Alltheweb

                #HideReferrer alltheweb.

                GroupReferrer altavista. Altavista

                #HideReferrer altavista.

                GroupReferrer aol. AOL

                #HideReferrer aol.

                GroupReferrer askjeeves. AskJeeves

                #HideReferrer askjeeves.

                GroupReferrer completeplanet. Completeplanet

                #HideReferrer completeplanet.

                GroupReferrer dmoz. OpenDirectoryProject

                #HideReferrer dmoz.

                GroupReferrer excite. Excite

                #HideReferrer excite.

                GroupReferrer fast. Fast

                #HideReferrer fast.

                GroupReferrer fireball. Fireball

                #HideReferrer fireball.

                GroupReferrer go. Go

                #HideReferrer go.

                GroupReferrer google./search Google

                #HideReferrer google.

                GroupReferrer hotbot. Hotbot

                #HideReferrer hotbot.

                GroupReferrer infoseek. InfoSeek

                #HideReferrer infoseek.

                GroupReferrer inktomi. Inktomi

                #HideReferrer inktomi.

                GroupReferrer iwon. Iwon

                #HideReferrer iwon.

                GroupReferrer looksmart. Looksmart

                #HideReferrer looksmart.

                GroupReferrer lycos. Lycos

                #HideReferrer lycos.

                GroupReferrer msn.com/ MSN

                #HideReferrer msn.com/

                GroupReferrer netscape. Netscape

                #HideReferrer netscape.

                GroupReferrer northernlight. Northernlight

                #HideReferrer northernlight.

                GroupReferrer overture. Overture

                #HideReferrer overture.

                GroupReferrer yupimsn. MSN

                #HideReferrer yupimsn.

                GroupReferrer teoma. Teoma

                #HideReferrer teoma.

                GroupReferrer terra. Terra

              • boka@sto-procent.art.pl
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 20, 2003
                  Twoja wiadomo�� zosta�a automatycznie skasowana i nie przeczytana.
                  Zawiera�a za��cznik z kodem wykonywalnym dla systemu m$ windows

                  Skompresuj swoj za��cznik, a Tw�j email dotrze do nadawcy

                  No HTML content. Compress Your attachments.
                • Stephan Giesler
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 20, 2003
                    you've got to uncomment the line "HideReferrer..."

                    instead of

                    GroupReferrer alltheweb. Alltheweb
                    #HideReferrer alltheweb.

                    it should look like this:

                    GroupReferrer alltheweb. Alltheweb
                    HideReferrer alltheweb.

                    Good luck,
                    Stephan

> [...]
                    > http://www.cafeshops.com/hsanct
                    >
                    > 28
                    > 1
                    > 0.01%
                    > http://www.google.co.uk/search
                    >
                    > 29
                    > 1
                    > 0.01%
                    > http://www.google.com/custom
                    >
                    > 30
                    > 1
                    > 0.01%
                    > http://www.gsm1888.ro/links.htm
                    >
                    > 31
                    > 1
                    > 0.01%
                    > http://www.netcraft.com/survey/
                    >
                    > 32
                    > 1
                    > 0.01%
                    > http://www.yp4him.org/ministries.html
                    >
                    > Why don't all my AOL entries show up under AOL? Same with google? Why
                    > don't all the google entries get put under "Google"? Here is the
                    > relevant entries in my .conf file. As you can see, I've done everything
                    > I can from what I've read on the various newsgroup to make this work. As
                    > far as I can tell, it should be working:
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer alltheweb. Alltheweb
                    > #HideReferrer alltheweb.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer altavista. Altavista
                    > #HideReferrer altavista.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer aol. AOL
                    > #HideReferrer aol.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer askjeeves. AskJeeves
                    > #HideReferrer askjeeves.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer completeplanet. Completeplanet
                    > #HideReferrer completeplanet.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer dmoz. OpenDirectoryProject
                    > #HideReferrer dmoz.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer excite. Excite
                    > #HideReferrer excite.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer fast. Fast
                    > #HideReferrer fast.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer fireball. Fireball
                    > #HideReferrer fireball.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer go. Go
                    > #HideReferrer go.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer google./search Google
                    > #HideReferrer google.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer hotbot. Hotbot
                    > #HideReferrer hotbot.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer infoseek. InfoSeek
                    > #HideReferrer infoseek.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer inktomi. Inktomi
                    > #HideReferrer inktomi.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer iwon. Iwon
                    > #HideReferrer iwon.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer looksmart. Looksmart
                    > #HideReferrer looksmart.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer lycos. Lycos
                    > #HideReferrer lycos.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer msn.com/ MSN
                    > #HideReferrer msn.com/
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer netscape. Netscape
                    > #HideReferrer netscape.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer northernlight. Northernlight
                    > #HideReferrer northernlight.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer overture. Overture
                    > #HideReferrer overture.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer yupimsn. MSN
                    > #HideReferrer yupimsn.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer teoma. Teoma
                    > #HideReferrer teoma.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer terra. Terra
                    > #HideReferrer terra.
                    >
                    > GroupReferrer uruguaytotal. Uruguaytotal

                    <
                    <
                    < k i n t a d i m e n s i ó n | multimedia
                    <
                    < http://www.kinta-dimension.com/
                    < contact@...
                    <
                    < Av. Gral. Rivera 4725 / 204
                    < 11400 Montevideo
                    < Uruguay
                    <
                    < Tel./Fax +598 (2) 619 8522
                    <
                    < Jabber, Yahoo!, AIM: kintadimension
                    <
                    < (GMT/UTC -3h)
                    <________________________________________________
                  • Marco Belmonte
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 20, 2003
                      Wow, thanks, that worked! Finally! :-) Except that Google isn't there at
                      all now OR its different variants. Where did they go?

                      One more question. I use a dialup account, and of course, all of the
                      dynamic hostnames are showing up in "Total Sites", and I'm wondering if
                      there is a way for me to configure it so they don't show up, but are
                      counted?

                      I really appreciate the help! Thanks!

                      - Marco

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • John Rowe
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 23, 2003
                        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Lillith Lesanges <lillith@m...>
                        wrote:

                        > I've got a bunch of logs from a unix server, that i need to merge
                        so I
                        > can run webalizer on... what and where is this mergelog, and will
                        it
                        > run on linux/unix?
                        >
                        > Lillith K. Lesanges
                        > IT Department, MIS, Inc.
                        > systems@m...

                        Mergelog is specifically for unix, and very easy to use, and much
                        more reliable then any split/sort script I've seen.

                        Check out mergelog.sourceforge.net, all of the documentation is in
                        the tar.gz file. basically once you install it you just run mergelog
                        file1 file2 file3 ... >> outputfile

                        -John