Re: [webalizer] Webalizer Mixing Logs

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 18, 2003
      Check the logs. The webalizer only reports on what it finds in them and
      is incapable of going out and grabbing different logs and/or mixing logs.
      You must have seperate logs for each virtual host, and process each
      seperately. Also, the only difference you will notice between stock CLF
      and combined logs is that with combined logs, you will also get referrer,
      search string and user agent information (which is _not_ contained in
      CLF logs).

      --

    • jeffalerta
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 18, 2003
        Brad,

        Sorry, but Webalizer IS mixing the logs.

        I have each of my virtual domains logging to their own separate
        directories, to *access* and *error* logs with the name of the
        individual virtual domain as an actual part of the log file name.

        Each domain is being processed by a separate line in crontab along
        the lines of "13 3 * * * /usr/bin/webalizer -
        c /www/sites/domain1/site/reports/weblalizer.conf"

        Each webalizer.conf file contains specific information about each
        individual virtual domain, such as the name and location of the log
        file, the output directory, the Output title and other such.

        Also, I have verified that it is not the log files, because as I
        said the data from domain3 is appearing in the domain1 Webalizer
        output. However, if I manually run the above crontab entry at the
        command line, it rebuilds the domain1 Webalizer output correctly.

        As it is getting the data from its own separate log file, this
        tells me that the logs are not the problem. Also, just to be doubly
        sure, I actually parsed the suspect log file looking for instances of
        the information that was crossed-over from domain3. It did not exist
        in the domain1 logs at all.

        So the only place that this cross-over data could have come from is
        the logs for domain3.

        Thanks for the reply.

        Can you think of anything else for me to check as a possible cause
        of this problem?

        Jeff

        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@m...>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 18, 2003
          Nope.. the program only opens a single log file per run. The only thing I
          could think of would be running incremental mode and having more than two
          vhost config files using the same incremental data file.. however, since
          you say you run every 20 minutes, that should not be a problem as you
          should never, ever run in incremental mode against live logs and I doubt
          you are rotating your logs every 20 minutes.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 18, 2003
            As I run my own servers I control log location, size and rotation.

            I only rotate once a month and do not have, or need, incremental mode
            running on any of the virtual domains.

            I keep thinking about logs and process times and have tried moving
            the Webalizer process for domain3, which has the largest log file, to
            the end of my Crontab. However, all this seems to have accomplished
            is that that process no longer seems to run. I have had to manually
            run the Webalizer process from the commandline for domain3.

            As to the truncating oversized referrer fields, do you know how to
            locate the specific line that it is occuring on in a log file?

            All the docs that I have seen show the error message about this
            giving the line number in the log file, but I have not been getting
            anything like that in my error messages. Just a plain "truncating
            oversized referrer field". Nothing else.

            Also, what is with the "Unable to lock DNS Cache file" error? I have
            disabled DNS Caching in all the domains, but Webalizer still seems to
            be attempting to use the DNS Cache file.

            Any ideas?

            Thanks for the help.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 18, 2003
              > As to the truncating oversized referrer fields, do you know how to
              > locate the specific line that it is occuring on in a log file?
              >
              > All the docs that I have seen show the error message about this
              > giving the line number in the log file, but I have not been getting
              > anything like that in my error messages. Just a plain "truncating
              > oversized referrer field". Nothing else.

              The location is not specified because it's not an error.. just a warning,
              and can be safely ignored.

              > Also, what is with the "Unable to lock DNS Cache file" error? I have
              > disabled DNS Caching in all the domains, but Webalizer still seems to
              > be attempting to use the DNS Cache file.

              Means just what it says.. it can't lock the file. It also means that
              you obviously haven't disabled all dns lookups, as otherwise it would
              not even bother trying to get to the cache file.

            • jeffalerta
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 18, 2003
                I think I was able to track down what was causing the DNS Cache error:

                I had enabled the "CustomLog logs/access_log combined" in the main
                httpd.conf file for the server.

                I have just disabled it again and I will wait to see what happens
                tonight after crontab runs.

                Thanks for the responses. They helped me to re-examine everything
                that I did that might have caused the problematic behaviour.