Running Concurrent webalizers (win32)

  • Chuck Lee
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 5, 2003
      Hi all,

      I'm trying to write a script that will spawn multiple instances of webalizer
      in order to speed up the compile times of a 600 domain server. Problem is,
      I'm running into a "The process cannot access the file because it is being
      used by another process." error. I had originally copied and renamed
      webalizer.exe into webalizer_1.exe, webalizer_2.exe, webalizer_3.exe. Now I
      suspect another file is being locked. Does anyone have any ideas which file
      this might be and if there's any possible way around this? I'm thinking of
      just creating multiple application directories and running it that way but I
      would rather not.

      thanks
      Chuck

      ===================================
      Chuck Lee
      Systems Developer
      InQuent Technologies
      http://www.InQuent.com
      Tel: (416)645-4558
      Fax: (416)644-5186
    • Juan Antonio Sanchez Robles
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2003
        Hi!

        I belive that you have a problem with your DNS cache file, not with webalizer.exe. In your config file you can set DNSCache directive. You must create different DNSCache files for each webalizer process. But there is a problem. Resolve names is very slowly for webalizer, it uses a Berkeley library, you have a good performance when you have a big DNSCache file. Nevertheless you can also disable name resolving by commenting DNSChildren directive in your config file.

        By :) and sorry for my english.

        El jue, 05-06-2003 a las 22:22, Chuck Lee escribió:
[...]

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/NhFolB/TM

        Juan Antonio Sánchez Robles
        I-network
        C/Marqués de Riscal 11, 2ª planta
        28010 Madrid
        Tel: +34 917021757  Ext.226
        Fax: +34 917021799

        --
        In a World without fences who needs GATES?
        In a World without walls who needs WINDOWS?
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2003
          Thank you for the suggestion.  The first thing I thought of was the dns cache so I disabled it but I'm still getting the same error.  I even created 3 different application folders with each application folder using a separately named webalizer.exe but I still get this error.  Is there some other system process that webalizer uses?

          thanks
          Chuck

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
            Hi again!

            Sorry I forgot that if you comment DNSChildren directive, webalizer still uses DNSCache file. You need to comment DNSCache too.

            I've several instances of webalizer running at the same time, in a UNIX machine, and I have no problem.

            Bye!

            El vie, 06-06-2003 a las 21:25, Chuck Lee escribió:
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            Click Here!

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
              I had done that too.

              Anyways, I actually got it working.  The problem was that not enough time was given between process executions so that the process was still in the process list when the next one started.  I simply added a sleep 10 before the next logfile was processed.

              So it does work in the Win32 environment.

              Chuck

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
                Actually upon further examination.  It appears that the real problem was that I was piping STDIN, STDERR to the same file for multiple processes.  It was this that was causing the conflict error.

                Yes I feel real stupid.

                Chuck