Re[2]: [webalizer] Re: Using custom Webalizer with Cpanel 6.0

  • Stephan Giesler
    Message 1 of 4 , May 23, 2003
      Disclaimer:
      Please note that I am neither a programmer nor a webalizer-expert. I only
      want to generate for my clients relevant reports for their marketing.
      So the following might be a complete nuisance to someone who has
      in-depth knowledge of programming or of The Webalizer. However, it works
      for me. Hope it helps.

      Here's how we run the webalizer for all of our clients:

      You don't need various copies of the webalizer, you just need to run the
      installed webalizer using the parameter to use a specific config. Then
      you create a config for each client's domain and run the webalizer using
      these configs. For your convenience you can put all the configs (for all
      of your clients) in one folder and then run the webalizer simply using
      all configs in that folder. As an example, I attach a config file for
      one of our clients.

      For example:
      on my host, the webalizer is installed in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/

      So you could just run the webalizer with the following command:
      /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/webalizer -c /path/to/configfileforclientx.config

      Check out the readme for more command line options; however, I use just
      this one and define everything else in the config file.

      I created under my own domain (hosted on the same server) a folder where
      I put all the configs for my clients. So actually I'd run the webalizer
      like this:
      /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/webalizer -c /home/mydomain/public_html/webalizerconfigfiles/configfileforclientx.config

      However, as mentioned, check out the command to run the webalizer using
      all the configs in a specific folder (check out the readme). In my case
      it looks like this:
      for i in /home/mydomain/public_html/webalizerconfigfiles/*.conf; do /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/webalizer -c $i; done

      In the config files I specify where to save the reports and basically
      that's it.
      In my case I specify them to be saved in
      /home/mydomain/public_html/myclient/ and password-protect that folder,
      give the user and password to the client and you're ready to roll.

      However, there are two things I wanted to enhance:
      - I didn't want to depend on their saving and rotation of the logfiles
      but have them in my own folder to do with them whatever I want.
      - I wanted to make certain changes to the analysis that can't be made in
      the config file (at least to my knowledge) (I am referring to the
      ability to not count the requests to "/"; see below).

      So, since I'm working with one nifty hosting company (don't want to
      advertise here but if you're looking for one, mail me) they are doing
      the following for me:

      The logfiles are located in
      /usr/local/apache/domlogs/
      with the logfile being named as the domain itself, so for example the
      logfiles for myclientsdomain.com are called
      /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclientsdomain.com

      So I wrote a little script that deletes (almost) everything I don't want
      >from each log (reducing each log to about 1/3 to 2/3 of its original
      size), gzips them and copies them to a folder under my domain. There I
      analyze each logfile using its respective config file. This is being
      done twice a day. The "cleaning" is being done using the "grep" command.
      Don't get scared if you don't know programming - I don't either but
      got it figured out.

      The process of cleaning, gzipping and moving the logs has to be done
      with root privileges since my client's logs are technically not mine so
      I don't have the rights to see them or do anything with them. And this
      is where my hosting company comes in: they set it up to run as a cron
      job (twice a day, as mentioned) of root.

      Here's a sample script how to delete unwanted entries from the logfile

      ### myclient.com ###
      egrep -iv 'GET /image|GET /estilos.css|GET /scripts.js|GET / ' /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclient.com > /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclient.comKINTA
      gzip /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclient.comKINTA
      mv /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclient.comKINTA.gz /home/mydomain/clientlogs/
      chown mydomain /home/mydomain/clientlogs/myclient.comKINTA.gz

      Note that for this specific client I also delete lines that contain the
      string "GET /"
      This is done because "index.html" is only a redirect to the homepage,
      like home1.html or whatever. So I don't want the request to the root
      counted, but only the request for "home1.html". Btw that's something I
      didn't manage to configure in the .conf-file, so I'm gla
      But if you want your index.html to be counted, you have to delete that
      part from the above grep-command.

      Check out help for the grep command in the web, there's truckloads of
      them out there.

      Well, I hope this was of help to you. If you have questions don't
      hesitate to ask.

      Regards,
      Stephan