Sites versus Visits

  • chuck_kao
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2003
      Can someone explain to me how the number of sites for a given day can
      be less than the number of visits?

      From my understanding, a site is defined as a unique IP and a visit
      as a request for a page within a timeout timeframe. So sites can be
      lower than visits if a site requests a non-page, e.g. crawlers
      searching for robot.txt. But on some days I get visits that are
      drastically lower than sites (as much as half the number of sites).

      Can anyone explain this? I'm trying to figure out how many users hit
      my site per day. With the visits being so much lower than sites, I'm
      not sure if the sites number is a good approximation for the number
      of users.

      Thanks for your help.

      Chuck
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2003

        http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html (see #15)

        > I'm trying to figure out how many users hit
        > my site per day. With the visits being so much lower than sites, I'm
        > not sure if the sites number is a good approximation for the number
        > of users.

        It's not. A single user can generate dozens of visits if they want.