Using custom Webalizer with Cpanel 6.0

  • Aaron Hiatt
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2003
      I am a web host (reseller from main host) and I need to be able to supply my
      customers with a webalizer that supplies links for them to view ALL url,
      referrer, etc. traffic not just the top 30. Also I need to be able to filter
      out some other things. With the help of a very kind soul I was able to set
      up a "webalizer.conf" file that should fill all my needs. From my
      understanding you are supposed to just place that conf file in the root
      directory, and the next time webalizer generates data it will use that conf
      file instead of the default.

      Well, I tried this and it didn't work. I waited over 24 hours, came back to
      Cpanel and my Webalizer page was exactly the same. I have searched all over
      trying to get some help with this issue but no one seems to have any idea
      how to do this. I'm desperate and willing to pay for some tech help to
      resolve this problem. Thanks for your help in advance!

      Aaron H.

    • rtw_travel
      Message 2 of 4 , May 8, 2003
        Hi Aaron

        See my other e-mail I just wrote on this - cpanel seems to use some
        centrally installed webalizer whose configuration cannot be altered
        by clients.

        I installed my own copy of webalizer in my own directory and set it
        up for my own purposes. It works fine. Maybe this solution will work
        for you?

        David
      • Aaron Hiatt
        Message 3 of 4 , May 8, 2003
          Yes, I know Webalizer uses a central configuration for cPanel. What I need
          to do is be able to install Webalizer on a "per domain" basis, but I don't
          know how to install it. Can you help? Thanks for your time!

          -Aaron

          --------------------------------------
          Hi Aaron

          See my other e-mail I just wrote on this� - cpanel seems to use some
          centrally installed webalizer whose configuration cannot be altered
          by clients.

          I installed my own copy of webalizer in my own directory and set it
          up for my own purposes. It works fine. Maybe this solution will work
          for you?

          David

        • Stephan Giesler
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2003
            Disclaimer:
            Please note that I am neither a programmer nor a webalizer-expert. I only
            want to generate for my clients relevant reports for their marketing.
            So the following might be a complete nuisance to someone who has
            in-depth knowledge of programming or of The Webalizer. However, it works
            for me. Hope it helps.

            Here's how we run the webalizer for all of our clients:

            You don't need various copies of the webalizer, you just need to run the
            installed webalizer using the parameter to use a specific config. Then
            you create a config for each client's domain and run the webalizer using
            these configs. For your convenience you can put all the configs (for all
            of your clients) in one folder and then run the webalizer simply using
            all configs in that folder. As an example, I attach a config file for
            one of our clients.

            For example:
            on my host, the webalizer is installed in /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/

            So you could just run the webalizer with the following command:
            /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/webalizer -c /path/to/configfileforclientx.config

            Check out the readme for more command line options; however, I use just
            this one and define everything else in the config file.

            I created under my own domain (hosted on the same server) a folder where
            I put all the configs for my clients. So actually I'd run the webalizer
            like this:
            /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/webalizer -c /home/mydomain/public_html/webalizerconfigfiles/configfileforclientx.config

            However, as mentioned, check out the command to run the webalizer using
            all the configs in a specific folder (check out the readme). In my case
            it looks like this:
            for i in /home/mydomain/public_html/webalizerconfigfiles/*.conf; do /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/bin/webalizer -c $i; done

            In the config files I specify where to save the reports and basically
            that's it.
            In my case I specify them to be saved in
            /home/mydomain/public_html/myclient/ and password-protect that folder,
            give the user and password to the client and you're ready to roll.

            However, there are two things I wanted to enhance:
            - I didn't want to depend on their saving and rotation of the logfiles
            but have them in my own folder to do with them whatever I want.
            - I wanted to make certain changes to the analysis that can't be made in
            the config file (at least to my knowledge) (I am referring to the
            ability to not count the requests to "/"; see below).

            So, since I'm working with one nifty hosting company (don't want to
            advertise here but if you're looking for one, mail me) they are doing
            the following for me:

            The logfiles are located in
            /usr/local/apache/domlogs/
            with the logfile being named as the domain itself, so for example the
            logfiles for myclientsdomain.com are called
            /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclientsdomain.com

            So I wrote a little script that deletes (almost) everything I don't want
            >from each log (reducing each log to about 1/3 to 2/3 of its original
            size), gzips them and copies them to a folder under my domain. There I
            analyze each logfile using its respective config file. This is being
            done twice a day. The "cleaning" is being done using the "grep" command.
            Don't get scared if you don't know programming - I don't either but
            got it figured out.

            The process of cleaning, gzipping and moving the logs has to be done
            with root privileges since my client's logs are technically not mine so
            I don't have the rights to see them or do anything with them. And this
            is where my hosting company comes in: they set it up to run as a cron
            job (twice a day, as mentioned) of root.

            Here's a sample script how to delete unwanted entries from the logfile

            ### myclient.com ###
            egrep -iv 'GET /image|GET /estilos.css|GET /scripts.js|GET / ' /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclient.com > /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclient.comKINTA
            gzip /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclient.comKINTA
            mv /usr/local/apache/domlogs/myclient.comKINTA.gz /home/mydomain/clientlogs/
            chown mydomain /home/mydomain/clientlogs/myclient.comKINTA.gz

            Note that for this specific client I also delete lines that contain the
            string "GET /"
            This is done because "index.html" is only a redirect to the homepage,
            like home1.html or whatever. So I don't want the request to the root
            counted, but only the request for "home1.html". Btw that's something I
            didn't manage to configure in the .conf-file, so I'm gla
            But if you want your index.html to be counted, you have to delete that
            part from the above grep-command.

            Check out help for the grep command in the web, there's truckloads of
            them out there.

            Well, I hope this was of help to you. If you have questions don't
            hesitate to ask.

            Regards,
            Stephan

            > Yes, I know Webalizer uses a central configuration for cPanel. What I need
            > to do is be able to install Webalizer on a "per domain" basis, but I don't
            > know how to install it. Can you help? Thanks for your time!
            >
            > -Aaron
            >

            > --------------------------------------
            > Hi Aaron
            >
            > See my other e-mail I just wrote on this� - cpanel seems to use some
            > centrally installed webalizer whose configuration cannot be altered
            > by clients.
            >
            > I installed my own copy of webalizer in my own directory and set it
            > up for my own purposes. It works fine. Maybe this solution will work
            > for you?
            >
            > David

            <
            <
            < k i n t a d i m e n s i � n | multimedia
            <
            < http://www.kinta-dimension.com/
            < contact@...
            <