Re: [webalizer] Wrong referral site report (no way they had a link to my site..)

  • Valics Lehel
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
      My WEBALIZER read logs errored, for ex. I created a new site and webalizer give me datas from 2002.
      Everything in config seems to bem OK, just read other logs ...

      Anyone have similar problem?
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
        On 09-04-2003, boby12242002 wrote:

        > my referrals sometime show a referral from which a lot of hits come.
        > When I go to that referral site there is no mention of my site and
        > there is no way it was ever mentioned there…
        >
        > Any idea how to fix this problem so the real sites that people come
        > from will be shown?

        That won't be hard to fix. The client information provided by the
        client is stored in the logfile. The false information is there
        only for advertising purposes. The clients abuse your system and
        use a false referrer to advertise their sites.

        With the option "IgnoreReferrer" you can remove them from your
        output.
        easynet Nederland PGP: 0x2B27E501 F: +31-10-2448356
        http://www.easynet.nl/ kees.de.keizer@...
        I want to be the first man you remember [Aspects of Love]
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
          > That won't be hard to fix. The client information provided by the
          > client is stored in the logfile. The false information is there
          > only for advertising purposes. The clients abuse your system and
          > use a false referrer to advertise their sites.
          >
          > With the option "IgnoreReferrer" you can remove them from your
          > output.

          Using the "Ignore*" options will produce incorrect stat results..
          instead, use "HideReferrer" which will remove them from the output
          and still maintain correct numbers.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
            The Webalizer simply reads in whatever logs you tell it to read and
            produces reports based on what it finds. If your logs have dates
            for 2002, that is what you will get. Check the output of the program
            (at the command line when run.. make sure you don't have the Quiet
            or ReallyQuiet options enabled) to verify it is using the correct
            log file.

            --

          • julie@the-gadgeteer.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
              If you use the IngoreReferrer, will it then not show ANY referrer sites at
              all? I do have some good ones mixed in with the bad ones. I don't want to
              lose the good data.