Re: [webalizer] Wrong referral site report (no way they had a link to my site..)

  • julie@the-gadgeteer.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 9 5:34 AM
      I have the same problem. All kinds of adult sites show up in my referral
      listing. How is this happening?

      On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, boby12242002 wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > my referrals sometime show a referral from which a lot of hits come.
      > When I go to that referral site there is no mention of my site and
      > there is no way it was ever mentioned there…
      >
      > Any idea how to fix this problem so the real sites that people come
      > from will be shown?
      >
      > Thanks :)

    • Valics Lehel
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9 7:29 AM
        My WEBALIZER read logs errored, for ex. I created a new site and webalizer give me datas from 2002.
        Everything in config seems to bem OK, just read other logs ...

        Anyone have similar problem?
        I have the same problem. All kinds of adult sites show up in my referral
        listing. How is this happening?

        On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, boby12242002 wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > my referrals sometime show a referral from which a lot of hits come.
        > When I go to that referral site there is no mention of my site and
        > there is no way it was ever mentioned there…
        >
        > Any idea how to fix this problem so the real sites that people come
        > from will be shown?

      • Kees de Keizer
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9 7:35 AM
          On 09-04-2003, boby12242002 wrote:

          > my referrals sometime show a referral from which a lot of hits come.
          > When I go to that referral site there is no mention of my site and
          > there is no way it was ever mentioned there…
          >
          > Any idea how to fix this problem so the real sites that people come
          > from will be shown?

          That won't be hard to fix. The client information provided by the
          client is stored in the logfile. The false information is there
          only for advertising purposes. The clients abuse your system and
          use a false referrer to advertise their sites.

          With the option "IgnoreReferrer" you can remove them from your
          output.
          easynet Nederland PGP: 0x2B27E501 F: +31-10-2448356
          http://www.easynet.nl/ kees.de.keizer@...
          I want to be the first man you remember [Aspects of Love]
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9 7:42 AM
            > That won't be hard to fix. The client information provided by the
            > client is stored in the logfile. The false information is there
            > only for advertising purposes. The clients abuse your system and
            > use a false referrer to advertise their sites.
            >
            > With the option "IgnoreReferrer" you can remove them from your
            > output.

            Using the "Ignore*" options will produce incorrect stat results..
            instead, use "HideReferrer" which will remove them from the output
            and still maintain correct numbers.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9 7:44 AM
              The Webalizer simply reads in whatever logs you tell it to read and
              produces reports based on what it finds. If your logs have dates
              for 2002, that is what you will get. Check the output of the program
              (at the command line when run.. make sure you don't have the Quiet
              or ReallyQuiet options enabled) to verify it is using the correct
              log file.

              --

            • julie@the-gadgeteer.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9 7:52 AM
                If you use the IngoreReferrer, will it then not show ANY referrer sites at
                all? I do have some good ones mixed in with the bad ones. I don't want to
                lose the good data.