Wrong referral site report (no way they had a link to my site..)

  • boby12242002
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2003
      Hi,

      my referrals sometime show a referral from which a lot of hits come.
      When I go to that referral site there is no mention of my site and
      there is no way it was ever mentioned there…

      Any idea how to fix this problem so the real sites that people come
      from will be shown?

      Thanks :)
    • julie@the-gadgeteer.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
        I have the same problem. All kinds of adult sites show up in my referral
        listing. How is this happening?

        On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, boby12242002 wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > my referrals sometime show a referral from which a lot of hits come.
        > When I go to that referral site there is no mention of my site and
        > there is no way it was ever mentioned there…
        >
        > Any idea how to fix this problem so the real sites that people come
        > from will be shown?
        >
        > Thanks :)

      • Valics Lehel
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
          My WEBALIZER read logs errored, for ex. I created a new site and webalizer give me datas from 2002.
          Everything in config seems to bem OK, just read other logs ...

          Anyone have similar problem?
          I have the same problem. All kinds of adult sites show up in my referral
          listing. How is this happening?

          On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, boby12242002 wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > my referrals sometime show a referral from which a lot of hits come.
          > When I go to that referral site there is no mention of my site and
          > there is no way it was ever mentioned there…
          >
          > Any idea how to fix this problem so the real sites that people come
          > from will be shown?

        • Kees de Keizer
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
            On 09-04-2003, boby12242002 wrote:

            > my referrals sometime show a referral from which a lot of hits come.
            > When I go to that referral site there is no mention of my site and
            > there is no way it was ever mentioned there…
            >
            > Any idea how to fix this problem so the real sites that people come
            > from will be shown?

            That won't be hard to fix. The client information provided by the
            client is stored in the logfile. The false information is there
            only for advertising purposes. The clients abuse your system and
            use a false referrer to advertise their sites.

            With the option "IgnoreReferrer" you can remove them from your
            output.
            easynet Nederland PGP: 0x2B27E501 F: +31-10-2448356
            http://www.easynet.nl/ kees.de.keizer@...
            I want to be the first man you remember [Aspects of Love]
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
              > That won't be hard to fix. The client information provided by the
              > client is stored in the logfile. The false information is there
              > only for advertising purposes. The clients abuse your system and
              > use a false referrer to advertise their sites.
              >
              > With the option "IgnoreReferrer" you can remove them from your
              > output.

              Using the "Ignore*" options will produce incorrect stat results..
              instead, use "HideReferrer" which will remove them from the output
              and still maintain correct numbers.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
                The Webalizer simply reads in whatever logs you tell it to read and
                produces reports based on what it finds. If your logs have dates
                for 2002, that is what you will get. Check the output of the program
                (at the command line when run.. make sure you don't have the Quiet
                or ReallyQuiet options enabled) to verify it is using the correct
                log file.

                --

              • julie@the-gadgeteer.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2003
                  If you use the IngoreReferrer, will it then not show ANY referrer sites at
                  all? I do have some good ones mixed in with the bad ones. I don't want to
                  lose the good data.