Error: Unable to restore run data (8)

  • Chris Mason
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 29, 2003
      I have not been able to get any stats for the last week on my Redhat
      webserver. When I run webalizer manually, I get:

      [root@server2 usage]# /etc/cron.daily/00webalizer
      Error: Unable to restore run data (8)

      Removing webalizer.current will allow it to run but then I lose the month's
      history.

      Any ideas what to do?

      Chris Mason
      masonc@...
      Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
      Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
      http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
      Talk to me in real time:
      Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
      US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759
    • Julie Strietelmeier
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 29, 2003
        Did you get someone to help you? I've had a similar problem and posted
        something about it, but no one responded. I'm afraid if I delete the
        webalizer.current that I'll lose the entire year's history. Will I?
        Could I then use this month's weblogs to rerun the entire month?

        http://www.webalizer.org Webalizer for NT:
        http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 29, 2003
          You have a corrupt incremental data file.. usually caused by lack of disk
          space. Since 99.99999% of the people who use incremental mode SHOULDN'T
          be, the simple fix is to disable incremental mode.

          --

          On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Chris Mason wrote:

          > I have not been able to get any stats for the last week on my Redhat
          > webserver. When I run webalizer manually, I get:
          >
          > [root@server2 usage]# /etc/cron.daily/00webalizer
          > Error: Unable to restore run data (8)
          >
          > Removing webalizer.current will allow it to run but then I lose the month's
          > history.
          >
          > Any ideas what to do?
          >

          > Chris Mason
          > masonc@...
          > Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
          > Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
          > http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
          > Talk to me in real time:
          > Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
          > US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759

        • Stephan Giesler
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 30, 2003
            I'm wondering about this "incremental" option. I read in the readme that
            it basically is only recommended in very certain cases. And though it is
            a great feature, it does comes with the drawback that you can't change
            your options when processing the same data (as far as I understand it).
            So I'd like to avoid it.
            However, I think it's inevitable in my case and I'd very much appreciate
            if you could let me know whether this is correct, Brad:

            On the server I am using, the provider rotates the logs not exactly at
            23:59:59 on the last day of the month. They rotate them more or less on
            the 28th of each month. So, for example, the logfile for April does
            still contain a few entries for March. But this way, when processing the
            file for April, the stats for March (day 1/3 - 27/3) are being
            overwritten with the stats for the remaining days of March (28/3 - 31/3)
            included in April's logfile.
            I ran a few tests and they seem to confirm this. But I'm not sure, maybe
            I've overseen sth.; and since you again said that the incremental option
            almost never was necessary, I'd be very grateful if you could let me
            know whether I have to use it or there's a different way to do it.

            Regards,
            Stephan

            On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 11:54:28 -0500 (EST)
            "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@...> wrote:

            > You have a corrupt incremental data file.. usually caused by lack of disk
            > space. Since 99.99999% of the people who use incremental mode SHOULDN'T
            > be, the simple fix is to disable incremental mode.
            >
            > --
            >
            > On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Chris Mason wrote:
            >
            > > I have not been able to get any stats for the last week on my Redhat
            > > webserver. When I run webalizer manually, I get:
            > >
            > > [root@server2 usage]# /etc/cron.daily/00webalizer
            > > Error: Unable to restore run data (8)
            > >
            > > Removing webalizer.current will allow it to run but then I lose the month's
            > > history.
            > >
            > > Any ideas what to do?
            > >

            > > Chris Mason
            > > masonc@...
            > > Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
            > > Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
            > > http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
            > > Talk to me in real time:
            > > Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
            > > US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759

            > Bradford L. Barrett brad@...

            <
            <
            < k i n t a d i m e n s i รณ n | multimedia
            <
            < http://www.kinta-dimension.com/
            < contact@...
            <
            < Av. Gral. Rivera 4725 / 204
            < 11400 Montevideo
            < Uruguay
            <
            < Tel./Fax +598 (2) 619 8522
            <
            < Jabber, Yahoo!, AIM: kintadimension
            <_________________________________________________
          • Chris Mason
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 31, 2003
              Can you explain why I shouldn't? I use Redhat 7.2 and rotate server logs
              weekly as is the Redhat Standard.

            • Chris Mason
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 31, 2003
                No, I haven't received any answers. I believe the problem is with the very
                long domain names on the server.

                ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get
                128 Bit SSL Encryption!
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/xGHJAA/NhFolB/TM

              • Chris Mason
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 31, 2003
                  And I am getting this when I try to process the logs:

                  [new_snode] Warning: String exceeds storage size (78)
                  [new_snode] Warning: String exceeds storage size (78)
                  Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field [44836]
                  Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field [83028]
                  > No, I haven't received any answers. I believe the problem is
                  > with the very long domain names on the server.

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/W7NydA/hdqFAA/VygGAA/NhFolB/TM

                • Chris Mason
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 11, 2003
                    > Since 99.99999% of the people who use incremental mode SHOULDN'T
                    be, the simple fix is to disable incremental mode.

                    When I disable incremental, I only get logs for the present week. Am I
                    missing something?

                    Redhat 7.2 server, standard install of Apache, mysql, webalizer.

                    Chris Mason
                  • Chris Mason
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 11, 2003
                      Since Redhat clearly indicate you should enable it for RH 7.2 servers, I
                      think your comment is misleading.

                      http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/long_list.cgi?buglist=60295

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 11, 2003
                        Incremental mode is for people who must rotate logs more frequently than
                        once a month. 99.99999% of the world has no need to do so. If redhat
                        insists on forcing a default configuration for apache to rotate once a
                        week, it's still a pretty simple fix.. just make it rotate once a month
                        instead.

                        --

                        On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Chris Mason wrote:

                        > Since Redhat clearly indicate you should enable it for RH 7.2 servers, I
                        > think your comment is misleading.
                        >
                        > http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/long_list.cgi?buglist=60295
                        >

                        > >Since 99.99999% of the people who use incremental mode SHOULDN'T
                        > >be, the simple fix is to disable incremental mode.
                        >
                        > --
                        >
                        > On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Chris Mason wrote:
                        >
                        > > I have not been able to get any stats for the last week on my Redhat
                        > > webserver. When I run webalizer manually, I get:
                        > >
                        > > [root@server2 usage]# /etc/cron.daily/00webalizer
                        > > Error: Unable to restore run data (8)
                        > >
                        > > Removing webalizer.current will allow it to run but then I lose the
                        > month's
                        > > history.
                        > >
                        > > Any ideas what to do?
                        > >

                        > > Chris Mason
                        > > masonc@...
                        > > Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
                        > > Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
                        > > http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
                        > > Talk to me in real time:
                        > > Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
                        > > US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759

                        > Bradford L. Barrett brad@...

                      • inof8_com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 27, 2003
                          Webalizer does not run automatically, and when I try to run it
                          manually I get this message "Error: Unable to restore run data (8)"
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 27, 2003
                            Corrupt incremental data file. Remove the file and re-process your
                            logs from the start of the month -or-, since 99.9999% of people who
                            use incremental mode should not be, simply start rotating your logs
                            once a month and disable incremental mode.

                            --

                            On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, inof8_com wrote:

                            > Webalizer does not run automatically, and when I try to run it
                            > manually I get this message "Error: Unable to restore run data (8)"
                            > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

                          • inof8_com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 27, 2003
                              Thanks for the quick response. How do I do this? I assume I change
                              the setting in the config file to disable incremental mode. I did
                              try this, but that alone did not fix the problem. I am not that
                              literate in Linux.

                              --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@m...>