Re: [webalizer] Re: Help please!!!

  • Stephan Giesler
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 17, 2003
      Well, I'm not a webalizer-guru myself. But as far as I understand it
      it's like this:
      Suppose you had three pages, "one.htm", "two.html" and "three.shtml".

      Let's say your pages are getting viewed in total 100.000 times in a
      month, each page accounting for exactly one third of the page(view)s.
      If in your "PageType" section (sample.conf line 102) "htm", "html" and
      "shtml" aren't defined as filetypes which are to be counted as pages,
      then the figure for "pages" in this month would be zero.

      This would happen if the corresponding section of your config looked
      like this:
      PageType [no value here]

      If it looked like this:
      PageType htm
      all the views of page one.htm would be counted, so you'd get a result of 33.333
      pages

      If it looked like this:
      PageType htm*
      all the views for one.htm and two.html would be counted, giving a total
      of 66.666 pages.

      I tried it, but wildcards before and after the extension don't work:
      PageType *htm*
      This, if I remember correctly, counted just about every file ever
      downloaded from the server in that month.

      So the way would be to put
      PageType htm*
      PageType shtml
      This way you'd get the 100.000 you're looking for.

      If you have e.g. some Perl (or whatever) scripts that you want to be
      counted as pages and others that you don't want to be counted (if
      they're embedded in an shtml page, the shtml page is counted separately
      so it would cause a double count), you can combine the use the "PageType"
      and "IgnoreURL" keywords, e.g.
      PageType pl
      and
      IgnoreURL /cgi-bin/myscript.pl
      would cause perl scripts in general to be counted, but myscript.pl not
      to be counted.

      But careful: The IgnoreURL keyword causes a file or filetype not to be
      included in any statistic at all, it vanishes from the whole analysis,
      even from the count of "hits", "files" and "kbytes".
      The PageType keyword only refers to what appears in the "pages" section
      of your statistics.

      Well, as I said, I'm not the webalizer guru neither. I hope this wasn't
      complete bull. Anyways, it works for me.

      Check out the documentation and the sampleconfig supplied with WA (or
      here: ftp://ftp.mrunix.net/pub/webalizer/sample.conf). I think things
      are quite clear there. After that it's an afternoon of trial and error
      to find out what keyword value gives you what result.

      Good luck and if I made some mistake somewhere, correction is always
      welcome.

      Stephan