Tracking mailings

  • Chris Mason
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2003
      We send out emails to our cusomter base and the link provided has a tracking
      string, such as id=mailing1. Is there anyway to see how many pages were
      viewed by this link, i.e., how successful the mailing was? At present I am
      using comples greps to get a feel for the response but it's messy.

      Chris Mason
      masonc@...
      Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
      Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
      http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
      Talk to me in real time:
      Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
      US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759
    • Greg Fenton
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10, 2003
        This might sound like a duplicate of my previous response.

        I suspect you'll have troubles finding a tool that does exactly what
        you want. However, Perl will give you MUCH better control over
        counting the hits over grep. Many times I've started using grep to do
        a simple report on log files and find myself eventually piping the
        results of my greps into Perl. When that happens, I simply write a
        proper Perl script and quit mucking about.

        Is a count of the URLs all you are looking for? I suspect you'll also
        want to denote how many unique IP addresses hit the URLs as well
        (though you don't want to eliminate dup'ed IP addresses as a single IP
        might represent thousands of customers from one corporation coming
        through their corporate firewall).

        Hope this helps,
        greg_fenton.
        --- Chris Mason <lists@...> wrote:
        > We send out emails to our cusomter base and the link provided has a
        > tracking
        > string, such as id=mailing1. Is there anyway to see how many pages
        > were
        > viewed by this link, i.e., how successful the mailing was? At present
        > I am
        > using comples greps to get a feel for the response but it's messy.
        >
        > Chris Mason
        > masonc@...
        > Box 340, The Valley, Anguilla, British West Indies
        > Tel: 264 497 5670 Fax: 264 497 8463 Cell: 264 235 5670
        > http://www.anguillaguide.com/ The Anguilla Guide
        > Talk to me in real time:
        > Yahoo:netconcepts_anguilla
        > US Fax and Voicemail: (815)301-9759