Trying something different with Webalizer - Tracking Browsers

  • tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9 5:45 PM
      I was asked if it was possible to track individual workstation hitting a
      internal website a few weeks ago. I have a registry edit that appends a unique
      string to each browser entry and have some perl scripts that hack the logs up
      into individual and department logs based upon that unique string. This has
      worked great for getting webalizer logs based upon each PC but it has not met
      the needs of my managers who want simpler way to look at the data.

      Anyone know of a open source app that creates reports based upon individual
      browsers with a unique identifier or possibly a client based app?
    • Greg Fenton
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 10 6:21 AM
        I don't expect that you will find an existing open source app to do
        this, because *rarely* will you find a website that has the opportunity
        to track users based on User-Agent.

        I wonder why you'd go to the trouble of modifying User-Agent when you
        could simply have generated unique cookies for each workstation?
        If you do find such a tool, I suspect it would track users based on
        cookies.

        That being said, I also wonder what kind of "report" you are looking
        for? A list of the URLs hit by the user (user-agent) and the time at
        which they hit those URLs? A graph (what x/y variables?)?

        IMO, you already have the best reporting tool (open source or
        otherwise): PERL! Use the power! ;-)

        greg_fenton.

        --- tom <tom@...> wrote:
        > I have a registry edit that appends
        > a unique
        > string to each browser entry and have some perl scripts that hack the
        > logs up
        > into individual and department logs based upon that unique string.

        =====
        Greg Fenton
        greg_fenton@...

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com