RE: [webalizer] Success in installing on a Windows 2000 / IIS machine?

  • Jean-Noel Hayart
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003
      Hello

      link is repair now.

      good luck
      -----Message d'origine-----
      De : David Notik [mailto:dave@...]
      Envoyé : Friday, February 07, 2003 7:38 AM
      À : webalizer@yahoogroups.com
      Objet : RE: [webalizer] Success in installing on a Windows 2000 / IIS machine?

      Hi Kees:

      That link is broken:  You are not authorized to view the page.

      --Dave

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003

        Ok, so I’m able to run it from the command line against ONE log and it generates a report for that ONE log (See Below).  But how do I set it up so it generates reports every few hours and keeps everything up to date on its own?

        --Dave

        ----

        C:\Aurora\Webalizer2>webalizer C:\WINNT\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC3\ex020919.log

        Webalizer V2.01-09-RB07 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 3) English

        Creating output in c:\Aurora\WebSite\Stats

        Hostname for reports is 'www.jpay.com'

        Reading history file... webalizer.hist

        Using logfile C:\WINNT\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC3\ex020919.log (IIS-W3C (IIS4,IIS5

        ,...))

        Skipping Microsof IIS header record

        Skipping Microsof IIS header record

        Skipping Microsof IIS header record

        Skipping Microsof IIS header record

        Generating report for September 2002

        Generating summary report

        Saving history information...

        1635 records (4 ignored) in 0.00 seconds

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003
          Dave,
          Set up a scheduled task to execute this batch file every hour.
          Stan

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003
            Dave,
            Set up a .bat file (call it ProcLogs.bat or something) that contains your command line execution of webalizer and pass it your .conf file.

            cd \[dir containing webalizer & .conf files]
            webalizer -c filename.conf

            Schedule this .bat file to run as often as you need it to.  It works great on our server!
            Stan

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003

              Hi Stan:

              Great, but aren’t I passing it ONE filename (e.g. ex020901.log)?  So how will it know to grab the latest log file?

              See what I mean?

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003

                Wait – it worked now!  Apparently the –c did the trick.

                --D

                Assuming that you are using "folderlog" in your webalizer.conf, you can schedule the task to run as often as you wish.  If you are using a hardcoded file name, I wouldn't have an answer.

                In Control Panel, open Scheduled Tasks and create one for webalizer.exe.  In the Schedule tab, select "advanced" to schedule more often than daily.

                That link is broken:  You are not authorized to view the page.

                --Dave

                > Has anyone had any success installing Webalizer on a
                > Windows 2000 box running IIS web server?  What did you
                > have to do to get it running?

                Use the special JNH version: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
                With this version you can point to a directory where the logfiles
                are stored instead of just using one logfile. Also it's designed to
                generate stats for more than one website in one run.
                --
                Kees de Keizer          NT Administrator    T: +31-10-2448344
                #easynet Nederland      PGP:  0x24E3770B    F: +31-10-2448356
                http://www.easynet.nl/          kees.de.keizer@...

              • Stanley Stramel
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003
                  Dave,

                  ... taken from the README file that downloads with Webalzier.

                  -c file  This option specifies a configuration file to use.  Configuration
                            files allow greater control over how The Webalizer behaves, and
                            there are several ways to use them.  As of version 0.98, The
                            Webalizer searches for a default configuration file in the
                            current directory named "webalizer.conf", and if not found,
                            will search in the /etc/ directory for a file of the same name.
                            In addition, you may specify a configuration file to use with
                            this command line option.

                  In the batch file, the line:

                  webalizer -c filename.conf

                  The FILENAME.CONF is your configuration file, NOT your log file name.  Do not specify a log file name in your .conf file and it will default to STDIN.

                  # LogFile defines the web server log file to use.  If not specified
                  # here or on on the command line, input will default to STDIN.  If
                  # the log filename ends in '.gz' (ie: a gzip compressed file), it will
                  # be decompressed on the fly as it is being read.

                  #LogFile        /var/lib/httpd/logs/access_log

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003

                    Yup – I was successful!  Thanks so much!

                    --Dave

                    Set up a scheduled task to execute this batch file every hour.

                    Stan

                    That link is broken:  You are not authorized to view the page.

                    --Dave

                    > Has anyone had any success installing Webalizer on a
                    > Windows 2000 box running IIS web server?  What did you
                    > have to do to get it running?

                    Use the special JNH version: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
                    With this version you can point to a directory where the logfiles
                    are stored instead of just using one logfile. Also it's designed to
                    generate stats for more than one website in one run.
                    --
                    Kees de Keizer          NT Administrator    T: +31-10-2448344
                    #easynet Nederland      PGP:  0x24E3770B    F: +31-10-2448356
                    http://www.easynet.nl/          kees.de.keizer@...

                  • kim minh huynh
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003

                      I would like to try also for IIS but i got nothing.
                      Would you sent me the config file or some more explication how to made it
                      works, please,

                      thanks in advance...

                      Huynh Kim Minh huynhkminh@...

                      http://www.msn.fr/msger/default.asp
                    • kim minh huynh
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
                        Here is what i got when trying Webalizer on Win IIS

                        C:\Inetpub>webalizer1 -c webalizer1.conf
                        Webalizer V2.01-09-RB07 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 3) French
                        Using DNS cache file c:\inetpub\log\dns_cache.db
                        Creating output in c:\inetpub\log\
                        Hostname for reports is 'http:\\hkm78.gotdns.com'
                        Reading history file... c:\inetpub\log\webalizer.hist
                        >>>Previous run data not found...
                        Using logfile c:\inetpub\log\access_log (clf)
                        >>>No valid records found!

                        Two webalizer.conf are joint here,
                        the first one sent out what you see above,the second one sent nothing.

                        What is the problem, please help ??

                      • Kees de Keizer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
                          On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, kim minh huynh wrote:

                          > Here is what i got when trying Webalizer on Win IIS
                          >
                          > C:\Inetpub>webalizer1 -c webalizer1.conf
                          > Webalizer V2.01-09-RB07 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 3) French
                          > Using DNS cache file c:\inetpub\log\dns_cache.db
                          > Creating output in c:\inetpub\log\
                          > Hostname for reports is 'http:\\hkm78.gotdns.com'
                          > Reading history file... c:\inetpub\log\webalizer.hist
                          > Using logfile c:\inetpub\log\access_log (clf)
                          >
                          > Two webalizer.conf are joint here,
                          > the first one sent out what you see above,the second one sent nothing.
                          >
                          > What is the problem, please help ??

                          Where are your IIS logfiles stored? And what is it's name?
                          Now it is in "c:\inetpub\log" and the name is "access_log".
                          The last name is not a regular IIS name for a logfile.