Success in installing on a Windows 2000 / IIS machine?

  • David Notik
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 6, 2003

      Hi all:

      Has anyone had any success installing Webalizer on a Windows 2000 box running IIS web server?  What did you have to do to get it running?

      I got it to the point where I can run it and it generates the files for ONE log file that I point it to, but how do I set it up so it automatically generates the reports every few hours or so?

      Thanks for any and all help.

      --Dave

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      David Notik
      Digital202, LLC
      Imagination gone digital.
      Office: (206) 575-1717
      Mobile: (206) 351-3948
      E-mail: dave@...
      Web: www.digital202.com
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    • Kees de Keizer
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 6, 2003
        On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, David Notik wrote:

        > Has anyone had any success installing Webalizer on a
        > Windows 2000 box running IIS web server? What did you
        > have to do to get it running?

        Use the special JNH version: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
        With this version you can point to a directory where the logfiles
        are stored instead of just using one logfile. Also it's designed to
        generate stats for more than one website in one run.
        #easynet Nederland PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
        http://www.easynet.nl/ kees.de.keizer@...
      • David Notik
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 6, 2003

          Hi Kees:

          That link is broken:  You are not authorized to view the page.

          --Dave

          --
          Kees de Keizer          NT Administrator    T: +31-10-2448344
          #easynet Nederland      PGP:  0x24E3770B    F: +31-10-2448356
          http://www.easynet.nl/          kees.de.keizer@...

        • Jean-Noel Hayart
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 6, 2003
            Sorry this is a mistake, i've upload file this day.
            regards

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003
              Hello

              link is repair now.

              good luck

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003

                Ok, so I’m able to run it from the command line against ONE log and it generates a report for that ONE log (See Below).  But how do I set it up so it generates reports every few hours and keeps everything up to date on its own?

                --Dave

                ----

                C:\Aurora\Webalizer2>webalizer C:\WINNT\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC3\ex020919.log

                Webalizer V2.01-09-RB07 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 3) English

                Creating output in c:\Aurora\WebSite\Stats

                Hostname for reports is 'www.jpay.com'

                Reading history file... webalizer.hist

                Using logfile C:\WINNT\system32\LogFiles\W3SVC3\ex020919.log (IIS-W3C (IIS4,IIS5

                ,...))

                Skipping Microsof IIS header record

                Skipping Microsof IIS header record

                Skipping Microsof IIS header record

                Skipping Microsof IIS header record

                Generating report for September 2002

                Generating summary report

                Saving history information...

                1635 records (4 ignored) in 0.00 seconds

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003
                  Dave,
                  Set up a scheduled task to execute this batch file every hour.
                  Stan

                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003
                    Dave,
                    Set up a .bat file (call it ProcLogs.bat or something) that contains your command line execution of webalizer and pass it your .conf file.

                    cd \[dir containing webalizer & .conf files]
                    webalizer -c filename.conf

                    Schedule this .bat file to run as often as you need it to.  It works great on our server!
                    Stan

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003

                      Hi Stan:

                      Great, but aren’t I passing it ONE filename (e.g. ex020901.log)?  So how will it know to grab the latest log file?

                      See what I mean?

                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003

                        Wait – it worked now!  Apparently the –c did the trick.

                        --D

                        Assuming that you are using "folderlog" in your webalizer.conf, you can schedule the task to run as often as you wish.  If you are using a hardcoded file name, I wouldn't have an answer.

                        In Control Panel, open Scheduled Tasks and create one for webalizer.exe.  In the Schedule tab, select "advanced" to schedule more often than daily.

                        That link is broken:  You are not authorized to view the page.

                        --Dave

                        > Has anyone had any success installing Webalizer on a
                        > Windows 2000 box running IIS web server?  What did you
                        > have to do to get it running?

                        Use the special JNH version: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
                        With this version you can point to a directory where the logfiles
                        are stored instead of just using one logfile. Also it's designed to
                        generate stats for more than one website in one run.
                        --
                        Kees de Keizer          NT Administrator    T: +31-10-2448344
                        #easynet Nederland      PGP:  0x24E3770B    F: +31-10-2448356
                        http://www.easynet.nl/          kees.de.keizer@...

                      • Stanley Stramel
                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003
                          Dave,

                          ... taken from the README file that downloads with Webalzier.

                          -c file  This option specifies a configuration file to use.  Configuration
                                    files allow greater control over how The Webalizer behaves, and
                                    there are several ways to use them.  As of version 0.98, The
                                    Webalizer searches for a default configuration file in the
                                    current directory named "webalizer.conf", and if not found,
                                    will search in the /etc/ directory for a file of the same name.
                                    In addition, you may specify a configuration file to use with
                                    this command line option.

                          In the batch file, the line:

                          webalizer -c filename.conf

                          The FILENAME.CONF is your configuration file, NOT your log file name.  Do not specify a log file name in your .conf file and it will default to STDIN.

                          # LogFile defines the web server log file to use.  If not specified
                          # here or on on the command line, input will default to STDIN.  If
                          # the log filename ends in '.gz' (ie: a gzip compressed file), it will
                          # be decompressed on the fly as it is being read.

                          #LogFile        /var/lib/httpd/logs/access_log

                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 7, 2003

                            Yup – I was successful!  Thanks so much!

                            --Dave

                            Set up a scheduled task to execute this batch file every hour.

                            Stan

                            That link is broken:  You are not authorized to view the page.

                            --Dave

                            > Has anyone had any success installing Webalizer on a
                            > Windows 2000 box running IIS web server?  What did you
                            > have to do to get it running?

                            Use the special JNH version: http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/
                            With this version you can point to a directory where the logfiles
                            are stored instead of just using one logfile. Also it's designed to
                            generate stats for more than one website in one run.
                            --
                            Kees de Keizer          NT Administrator    T: +31-10-2448344
                            #easynet Nederland      PGP:  0x24E3770B    F: +31-10-2448356
                            http://www.easynet.nl/          kees.de.keizer@...

                          • kim minh huynh
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003

                              I would like to try also for IIS but i got nothing.
                              Would you sent me the config file or some more explication how to made it
                              works, please,

                              thanks in advance...

                              Huynh Kim Minh huynhkminh@...

                              http://www.msn.fr/msger/default.asp
                            • kim minh huynh
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
                                Here is what i got when trying Webalizer on Win IIS

                                C:\Inetpub>webalizer1 -c webalizer1.conf
                                Webalizer V2.01-09-RB07 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 3) French
                                Using DNS cache file c:\inetpub\log\dns_cache.db
                                Creating output in c:\inetpub\log\
                                Hostname for reports is 'http:\\hkm78.gotdns.com'
                                Reading history file... c:\inetpub\log\webalizer.hist
                                >>>Previous run data not found...
                                Using logfile c:\inetpub\log\access_log (clf)
                                >>>No valid records found!

                                Two webalizer.conf are joint here,
                                the first one sent out what you see above,the second one sent nothing.

                                What is the problem, please help ??

                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 8, 2003
                                  On Sun, 9 Feb 2003, kim minh huynh wrote:

                                  > Here is what i got when trying Webalizer on Win IIS
                                  >
                                  > C:\Inetpub>webalizer1 -c webalizer1.conf
                                  > Webalizer V2.01-09-RB07 (Windows NT 5.0 Service Pack 3) French
                                  > Using DNS cache file c:\inetpub\log\dns_cache.db
                                  > Creating output in c:\inetpub\log\
                                  > Hostname for reports is 'http:\\hkm78.gotdns.com'
                                  > Reading history file... c:\inetpub\log\webalizer.hist
                                  > Using logfile c:\inetpub\log\access_log (clf)
                                  >
                                  > Two webalizer.conf are joint here,
                                  > the first one sent out what you see above,the second one sent nothing.
                                  >
                                  > What is the problem, please help ??

                                  Where are your IIS logfiles stored? And what is it's name?
                                  Now it is in "c:\inetpub\log" and the name is "access_log".
                                  The last name is not a regular IIS name for a logfile.