Re: [webalizer] Old reports are (sometimes) flushed

  • Kees de Keizer
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 6, 2003
      On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Bradford L. Barrett wrote:

      > > Sorry, but if I had to do it that way, my servers would only be
      > > busy with generating stats. Maybe unix machine can handle multiple
      > > instances of webalizer better but on a windows machine the impact
      > > of running webalizer is quite high. That's why I run it around
      > > mignight on our production machines.
      > The limitations of your platform of choice is unfortunate..

      But not my choice. We have customers who want to write their
      websites in BASIC.

      > > > Huh?
      > > In this case I was talking about actual site visitors. I.E. proxies
      > > do not generate a a log entry when they present the site to a visitor
      > > using that proxy.
      > The webalizer was designed to give administrators insight into the usage
      > of their servers, in order to provide insight into capacity planning and
      > future direction. If a request is satisified from a proxy instead of
      > hitting the server, that does not impact the analysis of server
      > performance or usage from that standpoint. The program will provide
      > accurate analysis of actual usage in every way with the exception of
      > visit/entry/exit page analysis (as described in the documentation).

      If I want to know the traffic to a server, I'll ask our networking
      department for analysis. They can provide better traffic information
      that webalizer can, because they measure all the traffic. And nowadays
      webalizer is used very often to provide statistics to customers, so
      they can see when, what, how and with what their site has been visited.
      And they won't miss the 0,5% (if it is that much anyhow) in the stats.

      > Again, the limitations of your platform of choice is not justification
      > for giving people the incorrect assumption that it's ok to run against
      > live logs in incremental mode. To do so is a disservice to those users.

      I give our customers what they want: Site statistics. Our customers know
      that they are not 100% accurate if it concern page views and visits, due
      to the use of i.e. proxies. Webalizer is no longer a tool just for the
      administrators, but is more and more used for site statistics. Why would
      you else present referrers, user agents and countries? That information
      has nothing to do with analysis of the performance.

      > > I never said I have a problem. You try to talk me into one.
      > I took your statement to mean that it is impossible for you to use
      > the program correctly (ie: to do so would "make it completely useless"),
      > which I would view as a problem. Apparently, you don't think so.

      That's right. I give our customers what they want, and that
      is site statistics. They only complaint I'll get, is the lack
      of information about the used operating system. But that is
      something that won't be a part of webalizer.
      #easynet Nederland PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
      http://www.easynet.nl/ kees.de.keizer@...
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 6, 2003
        > I give our customers what they want: Site statistics. Our customers know
        > that they are not 100% accurate if it concern page views and visits, due
        > to the use of i.e. proxies. Webalizer is no longer a tool just for the
        > administrators, but is more and more used for site statistics. Why would
        > you else present referrers, user agents and countries? That information
        > has nothing to do with analysis of the performance.

        Because it's already there and it can be reported easily with very little
        additional overhead.

        But that is beside the point.. the point is that it is NOT ok to run
        against live logs when using incremental mode, regardless of your
        decision, for whatever reasons, to do so anyway.

      • Kees de Keizer
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 6, 2003
          On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Bradford L. Barrett wrote:

          > the point is that it is NOT ok to run against live logs when
          > using incremental mode, regardless of your decision, for
          > whatever reasons, to do so anyway.

          Maybe you should add that more clearly to the README file. The
          only about it now is something about "preventing same timestamps".
          #easynet Nederland PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
          http://www.easynet.nl/ kees.de.keizer@...
        • Josh Kuperman
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
            I'm very confused about this.

            From my reading of the documentation, it looks like running against
            live logs should not be a problem as long as you have a history file
            keeping copies of the log records so they don't get counted twice. I
            am started to use webalizer quite a bit for keeping track of both
            web and proxy (squid) use. In all cases I'm running against live
            logs. I really need to know what happened yesterday - ideally I'd be
            processing hourly.

            So far it is still very unclear to me why the live logs are a
            problem? I suppose I could force the logs to rotate every day, but I
            still don't get it. A file is a file, and at least on Unix systems I
            don't see what the difference is between a live log and an archived
            log.

            --
            Josh Kuperman
            josh@...
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
              > I really need to know what happened yesterday - ideally I'd be
              > processing hourly.

              You don't need incremental mode to run against logs hourly.

              > I don't see what the difference is between a live log and an archived
              > log.

              One is being written to while processing, the other isn't.