Re: [webalizer] Old reports are (sometimes) flushed

  • Kees de Keizer
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 6, 2003
      Bradford L. Barrett wrote on 06-02-2003:

      > [Using Incremental mode on live logs]
      > > > .. the program was designed to be run once a month against
      > > > a full months worth of logs.. _only_ if you need to rotate
      > > > more than once a month should you use Incremental mode, and
      > > > then, only against the _rotated_ log file.
      > > If I had to use it that way, it's complete useless for me. Our
      > > customers don't want info once a month. For our production machines
      > > we use a daily run around midnight.
      > As do I.. actually, I run it twice a day, but _not_ in incremental mode.
      > Data loss will occur otherwise, and the amount will be determined by the
      > amount of traffic the individual site generates.. small sites may not
      > experience any.. large sites will experience a lot.

      Sorry, but if I had to do it that way, my servers would only be
      busy with generating stats. Maybe unix machine can handle multiple
      instances of webalizer better but on a windows machine the impact
      of running webalizer is quite high. That's why I run it around
      mignight on our production machines.

      > > There is no way to give accurate data. Whether you use log files
      > > or a javascript utily on the site.
      > Huh?

      In this case I was talking about actual site visitors. I.E. proxies
      do not generate a a log entry when they present the site to a visitor
      using that proxy.

      > If you run in incremental mode, you should _only_ process rotated
      > logs.. If you want to run against live logs, then disable incremental
      > mode and run against them as much as you like.

      Ask Bill if he can generate rotated logfiles with a different
      extension or any other way so they can be easily selected with
      a wildcard. Since this is not the case you have to run it against
      a live log file.

      > > > If you want to run against live logs, disable incremental mode.
      > > Thanks for the tip, but that will make it completely useless
      > > for me and our customers.
      > I fail to see why.. thosands of ISPs do it every day without a
      > problem.

      I never said I have a problem. You try to talk me into one.
      #easynet Nederland PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
      http://www.easynet.nl/ kees.de.keizer@...
      Lovers are very special people [Funny Girl]
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 6, 2003
        > Sorry, but if I had to do it that way, my servers would only be
        > busy with generating stats. Maybe unix machine can handle multiple
        > instances of webalizer better but on a windows machine the impact
        > of running webalizer is quite high. That's why I run it around
        > mignight on our production machines.

        The limitations of your platform of choice is unfortunate.. however,
        the implication that it's ok to run against live logs when using
        incremental mode is inaccurate, regardless of any justifications
        you can make.

        > > > There is no way to give accurate data. Whether you use log files
        > > > or a javascript utily on the site.
        > > Huh?
        >
        > In this case I was talking about actual site visitors. I.E. proxies
        > do not generate a a log entry when they present the site to a visitor
        > using that proxy.

        The webalizer was designed to give administrators insight into the usage
        of their servers, in order to provide insight into capacity planning and
        future direction. If a request is satisified from a proxy instead of
        hitting the server, that does not impact the analysis of server
        performance or usage from that standpoint. The program will provide
        accurate analysis of actual usage in every way with the exception of
        visit/entry/exit page analysis (as described in the documentation).

        > > If you run in incremental mode, you should _only_ process rotated
        > > logs.. If you want to run against live logs, then disable incremental
        > > mode and run against them as much as you like.
        >
        > Ask Bill if he can generate rotated logfiles with a different
        > extension or any other way so they can be easily selected with
        > a wildcard. Since this is not the case you have to run it against
        > a live log file.

        Again, the limitations of your platform of choice is not justification
        for giving people the incorrect assumption that it's ok to run against
        live logs in incremental mode. To do so is a disservice to those users.

        > > > Thanks for the tip, but that will make it completely useless
        > > > for me and our customers.
        > > I fail to see why.. thosands of ISPs do it every day without a
        > > problem.
        >
        > I never said I have a problem. You try to talk me into one.

        I took your statement to mean that it is impossible for you to use
        the program correctly (ie: to do so would "make it completely useless"),
        which I would view as a problem. Apparently, you don't think so.

        How do you give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt when you
        know that if you were to throw it in a room with truth, you'd
        risk a matter/anti-matter explosion? -- Nicholas Petreley IDG
      • Kees de Keizer
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 6, 2003
          On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Bradford L. Barrett wrote:

          > > Sorry, but if I had to do it that way, my servers would only be
          > > busy with generating stats. Maybe unix machine can handle multiple
          > > instances of webalizer better but on a windows machine the impact
          > > of running webalizer is quite high. That's why I run it around
          > > mignight on our production machines.
          > The limitations of your platform of choice is unfortunate..

          But not my choice. We have customers who want to write their
          websites in BASIC.

          > > > Huh?
          > > In this case I was talking about actual site visitors. I.E. proxies
          > > do not generate a a log entry when they present the site to a visitor
          > > using that proxy.
          > The webalizer was designed to give administrators insight into the usage
          > of their servers, in order to provide insight into capacity planning and
          > future direction. If a request is satisified from a proxy instead of
          > hitting the server, that does not impact the analysis of server
          > performance or usage from that standpoint. The program will provide
          > accurate analysis of actual usage in every way with the exception of
          > visit/entry/exit page analysis (as described in the documentation).

          If I want to know the traffic to a server, I'll ask our networking
          department for analysis. They can provide better traffic information
          that webalizer can, because they measure all the traffic. And nowadays
          webalizer is used very often to provide statistics to customers, so
          they can see when, what, how and with what their site has been visited.
          And they won't miss the 0,5% (if it is that much anyhow) in the stats.

          > Again, the limitations of your platform of choice is not justification
          > for giving people the incorrect assumption that it's ok to run against
          > live logs in incremental mode. To do so is a disservice to those users.

          I give our customers what they want: Site statistics. Our customers know
          that they are not 100% accurate if it concern page views and visits, due
          to the use of i.e. proxies. Webalizer is no longer a tool just for the
          administrators, but is more and more used for site statistics. Why would
          you else present referrers, user agents and countries? That information
          has nothing to do with analysis of the performance.

          > > I never said I have a problem. You try to talk me into one.
          > I took your statement to mean that it is impossible for you to use
          > the program correctly (ie: to do so would "make it completely useless"),
          > which I would view as a problem. Apparently, you don't think so.

          That's right. I give our customers what they want, and that
          is site statistics. They only complaint I'll get, is the lack
          of information about the used operating system. But that is
          something that won't be a part of webalizer.
          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 6, 2003
            > I give our customers what they want: Site statistics. Our customers know
            > that they are not 100% accurate if it concern page views and visits, due
            > to the use of i.e. proxies. Webalizer is no longer a tool just for the
            > administrators, but is more and more used for site statistics. Why would
            > you else present referrers, user agents and countries? That information
            > has nothing to do with analysis of the performance.

            Because it's already there and it can be reported easily with very little
            additional overhead.

            But that is beside the point.. the point is that it is NOT ok to run
            against live logs when using incremental mode, regardless of your
            decision, for whatever reasons, to do so anyway.

          • Kees de Keizer
            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 6, 2003
              On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Bradford L. Barrett wrote:

              > the point is that it is NOT ok to run against live logs when
              > using incremental mode, regardless of your decision, for
              > whatever reasons, to do so anyway.

              Maybe you should add that more clearly to the README file. The
              only about it now is something about "preventing same timestamps".
              #easynet Nederland PGP: 0x24E3770B F: +31-10-2448356
              http://www.easynet.nl/ kees.de.keizer@...
            • Josh Kuperman
              Message 6 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
                I'm very confused about this.

                From my reading of the documentation, it looks like running against
                live logs should not be a problem as long as you have a history file
                keeping copies of the log records so they don't get counted twice. I
                am started to use webalizer quite a bit for keeping track of both
                web and proxy (squid) use. In all cases I'm running against live
                logs. I really need to know what happened yesterday - ideally I'd be
                processing hourly.

                So far it is still very unclear to me why the live logs are a
                problem? I suppose I could force the logs to rotate every day, but I
                still don't get it. A file is a file, and at least on Unix systems I
                don't see what the difference is between a live log and an archived
                log.

                --
                Josh Kuperman
                josh@...
                Message 7 of 19 , Feb 7, 2003
                  > I really need to know what happened yesterday - ideally I'd be
                  > processing hourly.

                  You don't need incremental mode to run against logs hourly.

                  > I don't see what the difference is between a live log and an archived
                  > log.

                  One is being written to while processing, the other isn't.