RE: [webalizer] Logs split daily and webalizer

  • Stanley Stramel
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
      Steve,

      I am running on IIS 5 and W2K servers.  Each customer has a directory that contains all their log files each day being a file.  By default, Webalizer processes files that have an extension of .log.  I have set 2 parameters in the .conf files that change the .log file to a different extension each time it executes.  That way the previous day's log file will not be picked up again and processed.  The two parameters are:

      RenameLog     yes
      NewExtension sav

      My Synchronize.bat file has an execution of WEBALIZER in it for every customer on our servers. Like this:

      Webalizer  -c c:\htpl\webalizer\Customer_1.conf
      Webalizer  -c c:\htpl\webalizer\Customer_2.conf
      Webalizer  -c c:\htpl\webalizer\Customer_3.conf
      etc....

      So when my Synchronize.bat file is executed at the scheduled times, it goes thru each customer's directory containing their log files, processes any that still have .log as an extension, then changes the file's extension to .sav so WEBALIZER won't find it the next time it executes.  Thus, no need to move any of the log files from one directory to another.

      Remember to set the Incremental parameter and it will create a Webalizer.current and Webalizer.history file for each customer.  This seems to be the way that Webalizer keeps track of the last date and time it processed data.  For the current day's log file, the log file's extension will not be changed to .sav and the Webalizer.current file seems to tell Webalizer the records in the current day's log file it has processed and which ones it still needs to process by the date and time stamp in the Webalizer.current file.

      I know I have rambled on, but I hope this helps.
      Stan